CoinPeople.com

2 Kopek 1766 - overstrike?

andyg

Hi all,

I'd very much appreciate your opinion on the attached,

any ideas of the undertype?

(not sure how the attachment is going to work, but will try)

hello, your image is not so sharp to see to real details, but I saw a part of cannon and a star - that is from 4 kopeks of 1762..., can you do larger photo...

other side

thank you for a large photo, however it does not bring more details than as for 4 kopeks of 1762 only to the best of my looking at it...

Hi all,

I'd very much appreciate your opinion on the attached,

any ideas of the undertype?

(not sure how the attachment is going to work, but will try)

Four kopecks of Peter III underneath, as it should be. As One-Kuna said, you can see a star and cannon.

You can also see the letters "KO" above the cannon (between the 17 and monogram).

Steve

thank you for a large photo, however it does not bring more details than as for 4 kopeks of 1762 only to the best of my looking at it...

one more detail, it could confuse you too, it is on the top of horseman, little right, looks like remnants from Baroque kopek...

A big thank you to Mr One-Kuna and Steve.

I'm slightly confused by two horizontal lines I can see above and below the '66' in the date,

they seem to be out of alignment with the understrike and not part of the current design,

I think (if I understand correctly) Mr One-Kuna suggested that there could be two overstrikes?

The edge of this coin is terrible, and as I paid just £8 for it I was beginning to think it could be a fake.....

Being a collector of world coins by type my knowledge of Russian copper is fairly limited.

A big thank you to Mr One-Kuna and Steve.

I'm slightly confused by two horizontal lines I can see above and below the '66' in the date,

they seem to be out of alignment with the understrike and not part of the current design,

I think (if I understand correctly) Mr One-Kuna suggested that there could be two overstrikes?

The edge of this coin is terrible, and as I paid just £8 for it I was beginning to think it could be a fake.....

Being a collector of world coins by type my knowledge of Russian copper is fairly limited.

a coin is genuine...

Archived