CoinPeople.com

Information needed

Hmmm.... maybe a Masonic jeton, given the cryptic reverse with starburst form? Can you spell out the words on the obverse, or give us a bigger picture?

The letters are:

THE LOY

AL...SVP

FEA..RS

JSalgado

British Farthings 17th century tokens

W Numbers refer to Williamson's Trade Tokens Issued in the Seventeenth Century in England, Wales and Ireland, (1891)

W103: Uncertain_Pieces, Without names of towns, issuers, or initials (Uncertain): (Date Unknown)

O An oak-tree, around the stem with a label

THE LOYAL SVFFERERS

R A gambling board (?) with numbers on it.

[No Legend]

Link To Website

This could be the Loyal Sufferers referred to:

The Diary of Samuel Pepys by Lord Braybrooke. page 168

...to speak about my assessment of 421. to the Loyal Sufferers: which I perceive I cannot help.... entry in 1662.

The date would be right for a 17th century token referring to the same Loyal Sufferers.

The future king Charles the II hid in an oak tree to make his escape and his supporters suffered under Cromwell's Commonwealth. So the Loyal suffers could be Charle's supporters and the oak tree the banner is wrapped around could be Charle's oak.

Awesome sleuthing, Constanius. I really like this token. If only we could figure out the exact meaning of the numbers on the reverse... What I took to be a sunburst looks rather like a compass rose (why a game board?), with 16 points and an arrow for North, but as for the sequence of roman numerals... perhaps a date? a reference to a location (the oak?) :ninja:

Awesome sleuthing, Constanius. I really like this token. If only we could figure out the exact meaning of the numbers on the reverse... What I took to be a sunburst looks rather like a compass rose (why a game board?), with 16 points and an arrow for North, but as for the sequence of roman numerals... perhaps a date? a reference to a location (the oak?) :ninja:

Constanius and Frank

Many thanks for your help!

JSalgado

The arrow pointer could be a spinner. The roman numerals start I.III.V.VIII.XI (this part not clear could be XV.II) then IX.VI.XXI.IIII.(XVII?. XII?)

Which would be 1.3.5.8.11.(15.2.).9.6.21.4.(17?12?)

Not much help, but it does look like it could be a spinner board game. Perhaps an early version of pontoon(XXI is the highest # ) or forerunner of roulette. Williamson in 1891 thought it might be a gambling board, so I guess that we are stuck with that, unless someone comes up with a better idea.

Still a great find, must be pretty rare.

Archived