CoinPeople.com

Lu-Mi-Num: 1894 token. St. Louis. Aluminium bicycles.

This was an aluminium token I just bought on eBay. It is issued by what might have been the very first manufacturers of aluminium bicycles. Obverse: Lu-Mi-Num: Manufacturers of the Aluminum Bicycles. St. Louis Refrigerator and Wooden Gutter Co. It is in extraordinarily condition for its age (dated 1894, i.e. 114 years old); very bright with no imperfections. I am assuming that, as it is not of any great value ($15 - $40), there is no realistic possibility that it’s a copy/forgery. Not worth it. Any other comments, suggestions, ideas?

Luminum1.jpg

Luminum2.jpg

I was a low bidder on the piece. I collect aluminum tokens from that period. I believe you got a good deal. I've not held it in my hand, but I have no reason to suspect that it is anything other than genuine. Think about it for a minute, someone preserved this piece in beautiful condition for over 100 years. Enjoy your purchase! I might have out bid you, but I was conserving funds for another auction (the Weber auction and I'll post about the auction over the next few days).

Archived