CoinPeople.com

Unknown Ancient, need help...

schutzenfester

Hi all,

Ancients are not at all my expertise, in fact, this is my only ancient and would greatly apprecite assistance in identification and all information you might be able to give.

It was purchased in Australia in the late sixties. I have had it in my collection for over 30 years but never took the time to research it and then I more or less forgot anbout it until recently.

The coin is approximately 38mm diameter and 5mm thick.

Thank you :ninja:

ancientr.jpg

anciento.jpg

The basic design is that of the Ptolemaic kingdom of Egypt, but my guess is that it is a barbaric imitation

Bill,

I have done some research since your reply and see why you would say Egyptian Ptolemaic Coinage. It appears to be Ptolemy II but I'm not sure.

I have not found the exact coin and do see that the Eagle does not look the same as other Ptolemy coins but I also have seen that in the few coins I am able to look at the Eagle looks different in many of them. The Eagle also faces the same direction in some but opposite in most.

When you say that it may be a "Barbaric imitation" do you mean a time period or are you just saying it is likely a terrible imitation? I'm unsure of your use of the word barbaric.

Thanks for your help, now that I can narrow it down to Ptolemy II, maybe I can identify via the web.

I agree it's a Ptolemy tetradrachm of Egypt. Those are hard to attribute to a specific ruler because they look so alike. If I had to guess I'd say between Ptolemy IV and VI but it could be II. I think with II the left facing eagle was a bit rarer.

I agree it's a Ptolemy tetradrachm of Egypt. Those are hard to attribute to a specific ruler because they look so alike. If I had to guess I'd say between Ptolemy IV and VI but it could be II. I think with II the left facing eagle was a bit rarer.

Thanks jlueke. I will research Ptolemy IV and VI. I hope to find the same coins. I know it is very difficult to say from pictures, but this coin jump out at you as an imitation?

No, I wouldn't think it was an imitation. The way the patina interacts with the devices looks pretty genuine. The type is not uncommon, the eagle facing left with Basilews on the right and Ptolemy on the left. The style of the eagle is not top notch but it still falls into an acceptable range.

Go to Vcoins and search on Ptolemy and you should see several similar types.

jluke,

I found many references of Ptolemy and also a site that shows many coins. I believe you are correct witht he ID of Ptolemy IV.

Thank you so much for your help!

Help from someone who knows the series really helps. I thought barbaric imitation because of the stle of the eagle on the reverse, bu barbaric I mean people who lived in the same time period and copied coins for their own use.

Help from someone who knows the series really helps. I thought barbaric imitation because of the stle of the eagle on the reverse, bu barbaric I mean people who lived in the same time period and copied coins for their own use.

Thanks for the clarification Bill, I thought that was what you were referrring to but was unsure. :ninja:

No, I wouldn't think it was an imitation. The way the patina interacts with the devices looks pretty genuine. The type is not uncommon, the eagle facing left with Basilews on the right and Ptolemy on the left. The style of the eagle is not top notch but it still falls into an acceptable range.

Go to Vcoins and search on Ptolemy and you should see several similar types.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...

There were none.

As far as I know, there were no non--GraecoRoman peoples who copied the coins of Alexandria/Egypt.

Barbaric imitations (so-called) are known for Greek coins of Philip and Alexander of Macedon and also for some Roman emperors.

But you seem to have a pretty good eye for detail and style. So, thanks for the insight.

Archived