CoinPeople.com

Bas relief plaque by Ph Roch

Reverse___Congres_Atlantique_Paris_1975__.jpgObverse_bronze___Congres_Atlantique_Paris_1975__.jpg

I have recently obtained this bronze bas relief commemorative plaque. It is signed by Ph Roch on the obverse rim (at 8 o'clock). I have searched all over the internet but have not been successful in finding anything about it. Size is approx 10 X 7 cms.

Can anybody give me some more information about the sculptor and also possibly an indication of its value.

Thank u in anticipation

rgds

Paddy

Here's a link to a site associated with Jean-Philippe Roch, engraver. (The work certainly looks like the same style as your medal): see this link

The text says he started out doing mostly religious engravings before being hired by the Paris Mint in 1965 for specific commissions.

I don't know just which organization was having its Congrès Atlantique in Paris in 1975, but I'll keep looking! For a minute I thought it was UNESCO, since its building figures so prominently on the medal (triangle-shaped near Eiffel Tower), but i haven't found anything yet.

Frank, Thank u very much. You have been very helpful.

The style, as u say is very similar. If it is by J-P Roch I wonder why he signed Ph Roch.

Perhaps if u understand latin there is an inscription on the reverse which cud help. This encircles a small galleon. Again on the reverse the buildings shown all apear to be Parisia; Arc de Triomph, Sacre Coure, Notre Dame, I think I recognise.

Anyway thanks again and I look forward to more results from your kind 'travaille'.

rgds

Paddy

The inscription is the motto of the city of Paris: FLUCTUAT NEC MERGITUR (it is buffeted by waves but does not sink), with a ship. That same side seems to show French history as a continuous progression clockwise, from (perhaps) the patron saint of Paris, Ste Genviève, to a figure on horseback within city walls, to the Bastille, to (perhaps) a barricade during the 1830 or 1848 revolutions, then finally to a modern structure with arches which I can't identify...

The other side is indeed a stylized aerial view of the city, with certain historical monuments enlarged.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for something else and Google popped this up on France eBay: link to Roch medal on eBay.fr

It's the same medal, but with some differences: without the inscription and with dates added around the outside above each scene from French history. Selling for 38 euros, but no takers yet.... !

Frank thanks for the info.

I also came across the item on EBay. In my wisdom I decided to inform the seller that the plaque is made of copper not bronze. After corresponding with you I discovered incised in minute lettering on the outer rim (not visible in the photos) the words Cuivre 1975.

More importantly I had a good look at the link for Jean-Philippe Roch u kindly sent me originally:

http://www.auvernet.com/agc/creation/roch/roch_uk.htm

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the very first medal is signed Ph Roch and if u scroll down u can see some others quite clearly signed in the same manner. I have no doubt that the plaque was scuplted/engraved by Jean-Philippe Roch and I have offered it to a London auction house for sale. As I do not have their reply I do not know what its value is. As soon as I know I shall inform you.

This cud be a big disappointment or a big (relatively speaking) bang AND this is all thanks to your interest in my original query.

Will revert soon

Best regards

Paddy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frank

As promised I am writing to inform u that The Auction House has confirmed that my plaque is by Jean-Philippe Roch (Ph Roch). Unfortunately its value is not high enough for me to send it for auction so I have decided to hang onto it.

Once again thank u for all your help.

kind regards

Paddy

Archived