CoinPeople.com

French court fines eBay over fakes

bobh

I'm not sure if eBay could be sued by a company for allowing fake coins to be sold. Mainly because these are a product of the government, so the government would have to take action. In the unlikely event that any government actually sued eBay over the listing of illegal copies they wouldn't be able to get the dealers who are outside that government. Ebay may be able to pull those auctions, but it's more likely they could not "prove" a coin was illegal and allow it to be auctioned.

I wish it was a bit more strict because some earlier 8 reales I need are counterfeited more often than any other coin in the world. Not to mention even the experts have trouble spotting some of these counterfeits.

I'm not sure if eBay could be sued by a company for allowing fake coins to be sold. Mainly because these are a product of the government, so the government would have to take action. In the unlikely event that any government actually sued eBay over the listing of illegal copies they wouldn't be able to get the dealers who are outside that government. Ebay may be able to pull those auctions, but it's more likely they could not "prove" a coin was illegal and allow it to be auctioned.

I wish it was a bit more strict because some earlier 8 reales I need are counterfeited more often than any other coin in the world. Not to mention even the experts have trouble spotting some of these counterfeits.

You're probably right. But at least I hope this will change their laissez faire, eyes wide shut attitude somewhat. :ninja:

Archived