CoinPeople.com

Hess-Divo, Auction 309 (last Monday, 28 April 08)

bobh

In general, I thought the prices realized here were much less shocking than from previous auctions. Prices realized are available from their website. I could kick myself for not bidding on lot 532, which was a mixed silver lot. But I decided to save my money for the upcoming WWC auction. :ninja: Anyway, this lot went for only CHF 800 (+15% markup and shipping)! I had a chance to view the 13 or 14 coins in person. Whoever won the lot, got a VERY good deal, IMHO.

Here are the notes I took about the coins in that lot:

1. 5 K., 1757, silver -- nice little specimen in XF/AU, I thought maybe $200

2. Paul I rouble, 1798-СМ/МБ -- grade XF detail, rim ding

3. 25 K. 1829-НГ (I first saw "ПГ" on this one ... perhaps an error coin with missing crossbar on the "H"??) -- grade UNC+, very nice wings-down type

4. 25 K., 1858-ФБ (grade UNC) -- little black spot at 6 o'clock under eagle

5. 25 K. 1859-ФБ -- grade UNC

6. Poltina 1861-ФБ -- grade XF

7. Poltina, 1887 (grade AU/UNC) -- very nice coin (I estimated at least $400 for this one alone)

8. 25 K., 1896 -- grade UNC

9. 50 K., 1896-АГ -- grade VF

10. 25 K., 1900 -- grade AU/MS (my estimate: $300)

11. 50 K., 1913-BC -- AU (nothing to write home about, but problem-free)

12. Poltina 1922 (UNC)

13. Rouble 1924 (UNC)

There should be 14 coins, I but I don't have any notes for more than these 13.

Unless browsing through the catalog, I would not know that there were any Russian coins in the sale.

They're not mentioned on the firm's website that I can see.

A visit to the sixbid lot listings finds them only if you open up the "EUROPEAN COINS & MEDALS" link and then scroll through the listings. With the current keen market interest in Russian coins, most sales will usually mention (even if only in passing) that the sale contains Russian lots. This one apparently did not.

From the perspective of a type collector (a date or variety collector might see things differently), most of the coins offered were not particularly exciting for a major European auction. For example, 2 common rouble types (1728 and 1749) in indifferent condition are illustrated (and brought relatively strong prices), yet the bulk lot you mention (which sounds far more interesting) is not shown at all, nor is there even a listing of what is in the lot.

Archived