CoinPeople.com

1899 San Jose, CA Golden Jubilee

I recently acquired an 1899 token for San Jose, California's Golden Jubilee. December 20, 1899.

944127.jpg

I believe the actual token is aluminum and the wreath is brass or gilded pot metal. The wreath is stamped by Schwaab S&S, Milwaukee. The obverse features a scene based on the California state seal and the reverse show settlers arriving by an ox drawn covered wagon. The entire piece is not large, about an inch and a half. The loop suggests it was meant to be worn as a charm or on a necklace.

San Jose started as a Spanish settlement in 1777. It was the first incorporated city in California in 1850. It was selected as the capital of the new state in 1849. The new state legislature convened in San Jose on December 15, 1849. The new civilian governor was named on December 22 in San Jose, so I guess Dec. 20 is as good a date as any.

This is one of my new mystery tokens for which I am in search of its story.

I recently acquired an 1899 token for San Jose, California's Golden Jubilee. December 20, 1899.

944127.jpg

I believe the actual token is aluminum and the wreath is brass or gilded pot metal. The wreath is stamped by Schwaab S&S, Milwaukee. The obverse features a scene based on the California state seal and the reverse show settlers arriving by an ox drawn covered wagon. The entire piece is not large, about an inch and a half. The loop suggests it was meant to be worn as a charm or on a necklace.

San Jose started as a Spanish settlement in 1777. It was the first incorporated city in California in 1850. It was selected as the capital of the new state in 1849. The new state legislature convened in San Jose on December 15, 1849. The new civilian governor was named on December 22 in San Jose, so I guess Dec. 20 is as good a date as any.

This is one of my new mystery tokens for which I am in search of its story.

I love it bill. Too bad its not gold and silver!

HEADQUARTERS 10th MILITARY DEPARTMENT,

San Jose, California, Dec. 20, 1849

(Orders No. 41.)

1. The Brigadier General commanding the Department has this day relinquished the administration of civil affairs in California to the execution of the government organized under the provisions of the Constitution ratified by the people of California at the recent general election.

2. Brevet Captain H. W. Halleck, Corps of Engineers, is relieved from duty as Secretary of State.

By order of GENERAL RILEY.

E. R. S. Canby, Ass't. Adt. General

REFERENCES

Browne, J. Ross: Report of the Debates in the Convention of California, on the Formation of the State Constitution, in September and October, 1849; Washington, 1850.

Alta California, San Francisco, 1849.

Wilkipedia:

Burnett easily won the election over four other candidates, including John Sutter, and was sworn in as California's first elected civilian governor on December 20, 1849 in San Jose in front of the California State Legislature.

The New York Times Dec 21st 1899.

San Jose, Cal., Dec 20.-The celebration of the golden jubilee of the foundling of California's Government began here today. THe chief feature of today's proceedings was the reproduction of the inauguration of Peter H. Burnett, the first Governer or the State. The part of Gov. Burnett was taken by his son. Gen. Joseph Stewart represented Gen Bennett Riley who was Military and Civlian Governor up to the time of Gov. Burnett's inauguration.

The above extracts explain why December 20th was chosen to celebrate the Jubillee on that date. Nice historical medal Bill

I agree. Thanks. I suspected it had something to do with the date of the transfer. I don't know that the date has much meaning in today's history, but it obviously did just 50 years out. And, it makes it a California historical piece as opposed to a San Jose piece. The date celebrated today would be Admission Day, September 9, 1850.

• 2 weeks later...

I've learned a little more. I recently bid on a token commemorating the California Gold Rush in 1898. The token has the same reverse as the San Jose token and the same outer ring. The token appears gilt brass with a darker outer ring that does not have the Schwaab mark on the back. Unfortunately, I was outbid while I was in a meeting at work. Damned work!!!

Then I find this image on the http://www.rpmrents.com/medals/georgia.htm website:

1898atlantapeace2.jpg

The medal appears to be one of a series issued by Schwaab in 1898. The covered wagon image also appears on the so-called dollar, H&K 642 for the California Gold Rush that I suspect was also made by Schwaab.

Archived