CoinPeople.com

HELP NEEDED

943777.jpgIMG_0744_edited1.jpg

Hortikulturens Vanner Goteborg 1874. Per Omne Fas Et Nefas. Ordd.R.Sveciae Violenter Fracti MDCCCLXV. (1865). Swedish. Bronze 33mm. Shipwreck? Storm? Engraver?
This seems to say HORTICULTURE FRIENDS GOTTENBURG 1874 (In fact a horticultural friends society did start in that year). DUE TO FATE AND MISFORTUNE THE SHIP SWEDEN WAS VIOLENTLY WRECKED 1865.

What the link is between the wreck and the society I do not know yet. Any help is appreciated.

If you look at the attachment and enlarge it, there appears to be life-rafts and debris in the water, as if the ship was trying to avoid being wrecked by lightening it's load.

1865 was when royalty in Sweden gave up power (Oscar I became king of Sweden in 1844. In 1865 he agreed to constitutional reform). 1865, Sweden replaces the medieval four estates parliament (nobility, priesthood, bourgoisie, peasants) with a modern two chamber parliament.

EDIT: Thanks to Jokerman's post, "A small correction, in 1865 the king of Sweden and Norway was Carl XV. Oscar I died in 1859.

The Swedish coin dealer Ulf Ottosson think that Adolf Lindberg may be the engraver, since the coat of arms is identical to one of his signed medals:"

• 5 years later...

Found another translation of Per Omne Fas Et Nefas. Ordd.R.Sveciae Violenter Fracti MDCCCLXV = Through right or wrong the Ship Sweden was violently fractured 1865. So this 1874 medal for the new Horticultural society does seem to hark back to the constitutional changes of 1865 when king Oscar ceded sovereign power to parliament, ergo the shipwreck is allegorical. No wonder I could find no record of the disaster. I have been unable to find a reference for this medal & have not seen another example of it in the 5 years since the original post.

Tempus fugit

• 10 months later...

This topic was started over 6 years ago, at last I finally have proof that the medal was in regard to the King ceding sovereign power to parliament.

The same shipwreck scene is paired with this

_124.jpg

1865 was when royalty in Sweden gave up power (Oscar I became king of Sweden in 1844. In 1865 he agreed to constitutional reform). 1865, Sweden replaces the medieval four estates parliament (nobility, priesthood, bourgeoisie, peasants) with a modern two chamber parliament.

The four pillars showing front; left Nobility & right Church, rear; left, Bourgeoisie & right Peasants with the King protecting all, and of course the 4 pillars of society supporting the King.

IN SECULIS HINC ROBUR ET SALUS
MAIESTAS ORDINESQUE REGNI
PLUS CCC ANNOS CONIUNCTI
I roughly translate as;

THE NATIONS STRENGTH AND SALVATION WITH THE MAJESTY OF THE KING & NOBLES COMBINED FOR OVER 300 YEARS.

• 5 months later...

A small correction, in 1865 the king of Sweden and Norway was Carl XV. Oscar I died in 1859.

The Swedish coin dealer Ulf Ottosson think that Adolf Lindberg may be the engraver, since the coat of arms is identical to one of his signed medals:

http://myntbloggen.se/tag/goteborgsutstallningen-1891/

A small correction, in 1865 the king of Sweden and Norway was Carl XV. Oscar I died in 1859.

The Swedish coin dealer Ulf Ottosson think that Adolf Lindberg may be the engraver, since the coat of arms is identical to one of his signed medals:

http://myntbloggen.se/tag/goteborgsutstallningen-1891/

Thanks for the correction & the info regarding the likely engraver :bthumbsup: