CoinPeople.com

Meister & Sonnag (4 April 2008)

Kit

Although the term "museum copy" might not be specifically defined, to me it means a copy made from a genuine example, such as an electrotype (which might be legitimately made by a museum for display purposes).

These "museum copies" (lots 525-542 inclusive) are nothing but crude and obvious forgeries and the purported connection with any museum is, in my opinion, tenuous at best and rather like putting lipstick on a pig.

These lots reflect poorly on the auction house and should be withdrawn.

Although the term "museum copy" might not be specifically defined, to me it means a copy made from a genuine example, such as an electrotype (which might be legitimately made by a museum for display purposes).

These "museum copies" (lots 525-542 inclusive) are nothing but crude and obvious forgeries and the purported connection with any museum is, in my opinion, tenuous at best and rather like putting lipstick on a pig.

These lots reflect poorly on the auction house and should be withdrawn.

A link to this thread has been emailed to the auction house.

I believe Meister & Sonntag will do the right thing in this case and promptly withdraw these lots.

I will be genuinely shocked if they do not.

I would agree. I was disappointed in M&S to see them list such crude fakes and try to legitimize them as museum copies. Very poor judgment.

Or perhaps they're trying to look knowledgeable..'hey we can tell the difference between a fake and the real thing'. That's even worse.

Steve

A link to this thread has been emailed to the auction house.

I believe Meister & Sonntag will do the right thing in this case and promptly withdraw these lots.

I will be genuinely shocked if they do not.

Okay, I'm shocked.

The "museum copies" are still up.

http://www.sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewsale&a...search=&s=b

Apparently so. All lots, not just the fakes, say "BIDDING CLOSED".

The inference I make is that the "museum copies" were not withdrawn and might have actually sold. ;)

Results are out. Looks like the fakes (lots 525-542) were all withdrawn! Dont know what they were originally thinking, but somebody finally saw some sense.

http://www.ams-stuttgart.de/Ergebnislisten...isse_AMS_S3.pdf

:ninja:

Results are out. Looks like the fakes (lots 525-542) were all withdrawn! Dont know what they were originally thinking, but somebody finally saw some sense.

http://www.ams-stuttgart.de/Ergebnislisten...isse_AMS_S3.pdf

:ninja:

I don't know what they were thinking either. For a while there I thought they were going ahead with the sale of this junk. I emailed them a link to this thread earlier.

I'm glad they did the right thing, as they should. After all, M&S is an IAPN member.

Archived