CoinPeople.com

1899 10 Roubles, different variety?

IlyaE

• 2 weeks later...
Head seems to be smaller than usual on this 10 rouble 1899 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300206032205 . Is this another variety or just a fake?

I thought I had answered this before? :ninja:

The head looks small becasue the rim is very wide. But there is no 10 rouble coin with such a wide rim; therefore, I would say it is probably fake.

There is another small head 10 Roubles, is there a catalog, which shows varieties of 1899 10 Roubles? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320233369057

Hi IlyaE,

I see that you and I share an interest in Nicholas II coins. As you and most of the members of this forum know, I am very, very far from being an expert. At the beginning of March, I received a belated birthday present of V.V. Kazakov's "Coins of Nikolas II". (bobh, if you are reading this, thank you so much for the recommendation.) It is truly a great book, beautifully presented, with magnificent illustrations/photos, well worth the investment.

It shows only one photograph of the 1899 10 Roubles coin, one variety. The size of the head is very much the same as on the picture that you are showing in this post, as well as the previous one (the one with the wide rim).

There is a bit of a difference in the shape of head, specifically the back of the head. The head in your post looks much rounder than the one shown in the book. However I think it is due to the foreshortening of the photograph rather than any difference in the dies, because the eagle on the reverse also looks wider than usual.

In general, if I am not mistaken, the proportions on the 10 Roubles are quite different from the other Nicholas II coins. For the most part, the head is quite a bit smaller (except for the patterns where the head again is larger).

Archived