CoinPeople.com

Unknown coin from Holland?

Porschenut

Dutch_Coin_1.jpgHello all,

Well here we go again asking what something is. I have no idea if it is a real coin or a fake or a bathroom token, but would like to know if anyone else knows what it might be or might be pretending to be. I have copied a scan of it for you to see. I hope that helps.

Thanks

Dutch_Coin_1.jpgHello all,

Well here we go again asking what something is. I have no idea if it is a real coin or a fake or a bathroom token, but would like to know if anyone else knows what it might be or might be pretending to be. I have copied a scan of it for you to see. I hope that helps.

Thanks

It's not Dutch. It's a silver testone of Milan (Italy), no date, but struck circa 1494-99 (if genuine, which I doubt).

The coin shows a portrait of Ludovico ("il Moro") Maria Sforza as duke of Milan.

You can read more here.

It's not Dutch. It's a silver testone of Milan (Italy), no date, but struck circa 1494-99 (if genuine, which I doubt).

The coin shows a portrait of Ludovico ("il Moro") Maria Sforza as duke of Milan.

You can read more here.

Thank you very much. The coin has a hole in it and was probably worn as a necklass or something. I picked it up in Amsterdam in an antique market. Thanks again for the info.

Thank you very much. The coin has a hole in it and was probably worn as a necklass or something. I picked it up in Amsterdam in an antique market. Thanks again for the info.

You're welcome. Genuine examples weigh almost 10 grams and are made of thick, high grade, solid silver. As such, they have a hefty, substantiak feel when held in your hand.

Maybe its just the pifcture, but your coin looks like silver plating over some other (base?) metal core to me.

Archived