CoinPeople.com

quarter error, what is this?

I came across this quarter and after an hour or more of trying to find something similar on the internet i gave up on trying to find out what it is. Could someone please tell me? The edge appears to be doubled on one side, you can see the notches in the inner part of the quarter from the edge. Is this very rare?

HPIM0448.JPG

That appears to be damage that happened outside the mint, perhaps some kind of counting machine or other device.

No, it's actually something from the mint. I've seen it a bunch of times on dimes. I believe it could be the result of a misaligned die. All I know are Lincoln cents, and when a Lincoln has a double rim, it's almost always a slightly misaligned die. The reeding on the extra rim bugs me, though. I dunno for sure exactly what caused it, but I'm certain it came from the mint that way.

As to how common it is. Well, it's common on dimes, I've actually stopped long enough to notice it a few times, and if I notice anything on a dime it has to be something common. I rarely pay attention to quarters any longer than it takes to pop them in the car wash or the soda machine, so I can't answer for how common it is on quarters.

No, it's actually something from the mint. I've seen it a bunch of times on dimes. I believe it could be the result of a misaligned die. All I know are Lincoln cents, and when a Lincoln has a double rim, it's almost always a slightly misaligned die. The reeding on the extra rim bugs me, though. I dunno for sure exactly what caused it, but I'm certain it came from the mint that way.

As to how common it is. Well, it's common on dimes, I've actually stopped long enough to notice it a few times, and if I notice anything on a dime it has to be something common. I rarely pay attention to quarters any longer than it takes to pop them in the car wash or the soda machine, so I can't answer for how common it is on quarters.

Yeah, i've seen doubling on pennies and dimes but i've never seen doubling with the reeding on a quarter. How could i find out about it? i've looked on every website and nobody has one with the reeds showing.

I not really sure. hat I can tell you is that most websites that educate in errors typically do just that--educate in errors. If what you have isn't out there, it's probably something that's common and overlooked by the people who write abotu what's valuable. You know?? Just a hunch that it's probably nothing to get stirred up about, but I really don't know for sure. I think my first thought is the right one, that it's a simple misaligned die strike, and isn't worth much at all...but still worth looking into, if you can find the right place.

Archived