CoinPeople.com

$90,000 heirloom coin returned to Lake Worth woman

akdrv

A rare 1907 gold coin worth as much as $90,000 and commissioned by President Theodore Roosevelt found its way back to a Lake Worth woman on Thursday, years after her family thought it was missing.

Phyllis Childers, the great-great-granddaughter of the first president of Panama, received the coin in a small afternoon ceremony in Tallahassee. Childers, 49, told state officials that Roosevelt had given the half-dollar-sized coin to Panamanian President Manuel Amador Guerrero. It had been missing since 1997, when Childers' mother, Tere Claiborne, placed it in a safety deposit box at a local bank and later lost the paperwork.

When nobody claimed the coin after Claiborne's death in 2000, it made its way into a vault near the state Capitol where it joined thousands of other homeless treasures — $72 million worth from accounts in Palm Beach County alone.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/pal...0,3451855.story

its an amazing story ;) too bad my families hierloom is a necklace >_> which my bro will get >_< xD an 2 of my great gran pa's rings ;) ruby an emerald ;) i got em now safe in a box <3 ;):ninja: hmm y didnt any1 think of a coin xD >_<

Archived