CoinPeople.com

Russian Coin Books

Prekol

Good morning, can somebody please suggest a good Russian coin book 1700-1920 are the years I am looking for. I am looking for images maybe with mintage information, a price quote if available. I prefer the book to be in English, but if the guide is in Russian that would work just as well.

Thank you.

:ninja:

Good morning, can somebody please suggest a good Russian coin book 1700-1920 are the years I am looking for. I am looking for images maybe with mintage information, a price quote if available. I prefer the book to be in English, but if the guide is in Russian that would work just as well.

Thank you.

Welcome to Coin People, Prekol! ;)

It is next to impossible to keep prices up-to-date, and therefore some of the best references do not list prices -- only relative scarcity. Also, there are not many with mintage numbers, and these numbers are not always indicative of the true amount of coins struck (for various reasons). Krause, for example, is full of mistakes concerning mintage numbers, and the prices are hopelessly out of date.

I would suggest the works by Rylov/Sobolin or Yaroslav Adrianov. The first book is in Russian and English; the second is Russian only. Some specialized books, such as Kazakov's book about coins of Nicholas II, are in both English and Russian, have beautiful color pictures, detailed mintage information and a relative price / rarity guide as well. Of course, Rylov/Sobolin was published around 1992, I believe, so those prices are not realistic. However, if you know approximately what some more common coins sell for, you can use the prices given and multiply by some factor determined by today's prices.

Images in Rylov/Sobolin are even worse than Uzdenikov. If you want good images, you need to look at recent auction catalogs by Künker, Gorny & Mosch, Dmitry Markov, Numismatica Genevensis (NGSA), Hess-Divo, UBS, etc.

Welcome to Coin People, Prekol! :ninja:

It is next to impossible to keep prices up-to-date, and therefore some of the best references do not list prices -- only relative scarcity. Also, there are not many with mintage numbers, and these numbers are not always indicative of the true amount of coins struck (for various reasons). Krause, for example, is full of mistakes concerning mintage numbers, and the prices are hopelessly out of date.

I would suggest the works by Rylov/Sobolin or Yaroslav Adrianov. The first book is in Russian and English; the second is Russian only. Some specialized books, such as Kazakov's book about coins of Nicholas II, are in both English and Russian, have beautiful color pictures, detailed mintage information and a relative price / rarity guide as well. Of course, Rylov/Sobolin was published around 1992, I believe, so those prices are not realistic. However, if you know approximately what some more common coins sell for, you can use the prices given and multiply by some factor determined by today's prices.

Images in Rylov/Sobolin are even worse than Uzdenikov. If you want good images, you need to look at recent auction catalogs by Künker, Gorny & Mosch, Dmitry Markov, Numismatica Genevensis (NGSA), Hess-Divo, UBS, etc.

"Thank you"

Thank you.

Welcome to the board!

I am glad that before questions on coins you are looking for some suggestions on the reach russian numismatic literature!

Yes, it is reach!

How deep into you want to go?

If you just started collecting russian coins 1700-1917 - that would be your choice:

prices are varied depending where you will be buying them - in Russia or US

Uzdenikov standard catalog ($20-50)

Severin silver ($60-100) original

Russian reprint ($30-60)

Severin gold ($25-50) reprint/original

Brekke copper coins ($65-100)

Julian silver ($45-80)

Specialized European, American and Russian auction catalogs with Russian coins (there are hundreds...)

There are more expensive catalogs exist like Boston reprint of Georgii Mikhailovich, Bitkin, Diakov, etc.

Or may be you feel more comfortable with the web - no problem - there are so many websites waiting for you just to be explored!

;););)

Thank you.

I overlooked the fact that in addition to being a reference with perhaps the greatest number of varieties of all coins of the imperial period, the reference by Vladimir Bitkin also has mintage numbers and prices. And the images are also very good!

Try to get it if you can ... it's certainly one of the best all-round references. While Uzdenikov has fewer varieties, there is considerable background information on things like weight control, minting processes, etc. There is also some information on mintage numbers, but it is hard to use (IMHO).

Welcome to the board!

I am glad that before questions on coins you are looking for some suggestions on the reach russian numismatic literature!

Yes, it is reach!

How deep into you want to go?

If you just started collecting russian coins 1700-1917 - that would be your choice:

prices are varied depending where you will be buying them - in Russia or US

Uzdenikov standard catalog ($20-50)

Severin silver ($60-100) original

Russian reprint ($30-60)

Severin gold ($25-50) reprint/original

Brekke copper coins ($65-100)

Julian silver ($45-80)

Specialized European, American and Russian auction catalogs with Russian coins (there are hundreds...)

There are more expensive catalogs exist like Boston reprint of Georgii Mikhailovich, Bitkin, Diakov, etc.

Or may be you feel more comfortable with the web - no problem - there are so many websites waiting for you just to be explored!

:ninja:;);)

Boston reprint of Georgii Mikhailovich Monnaies de L'Empire de Russie 1725-1894 - average about $250.00

Bitkin V V Composite catalog of Russian coins, II volumes, average $140.00 - 250.00

Diakov M E Coins of (each ruler) - average about $120.00 per volume

Are you going to collect Russian medals too - there are more references...

;);):D

Boston reprint of Georgii Mikhailovich Monnaies de L'Empire de Russie 1725-1894 - average about $250.00

Bitkin V V Composite catalog of Russian coins, II volumes, average $140.00 - 250.00

Thank you, I will check those books out.

Thank you, I will check those books out.

Good luck collecting :ninja:

• 3 months later...

conros auction house (Russia) issues yearly its price-guide on different period on numizmatics inlcluding separate volume on imperial period, you may visit conros.ru to order some titles if you want to ;)

Archived