CoinPeople.com

Off strike % calculations?

I just wondered... you know how sellers come up with such figures, such as 10% offstruck, 25%, 50% etc.

Is there any precise way of calculating how much the offstrike is off by?

There are a couple of precise ways to calculate the "offstrike", but it is equivocal that there is a best way. Consider this one: An uncentered, broadstrike and typical of what we call off-center.

ocpercent0wi.jpg

Because the collar has moved when it was struck, it is mishapen, and therin lies the problem. If it were a misaligened die, the calculations would be straightforward. I think of three approaches:

1. Given the total area of metal, use the percentage that has the imprint of the die. Problem is, the total area of coin will vary greatly between different specimens.

2. Use the percentage of the "normal" die imprint that is present (the part isolated by the black line).

3. Given the size of the normal die imprint, aligned to the center of the "in collar" portion of the strike (the blue circle area), use the percentage having the die imprint. Like 1, but standardizing the area to the normal size of the coin.

I could make a case for all three, but 2 seems to be the most reasonable to me.

BTW: This example fits my own preferences very well. For me, it is not a matter of the more off center the better (although when only the date is visible, it is quite an attraction). I like them largely off center (missing major design elements) with a real clear date area so that there is no confusion about the presence or absence of a mint mark.