CoinPeople.com

1847 Hawaii one cent- fake or real

goldcountryrose

I found this old discussion of this coin. i have just found this coin in my fathers things. First, here is the link to the 2009 discussion http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/topic/24103-hawaiian-copper-hapa-haneri/

If this is real, it will literally save us. What I wonder is if there is a simple way to differentiate it from the fake one made in 1960.

From what I have learned (have spent the better part of three days on this) the original coin was struck in copper and the fake one was done in brass. Wouldn't a simple test with a magnet prove what the metal is?

My coin is EXACTLY like the authentic pictures. 15 berries, no odd printing. I am so sorry that I can't provide a picture, I am tech impaired.

My biggest concern is that it seems a little too shiny, the condition is excellent, and when tested with a pretty good magnet, it does not attract.

Are there any other clues I should look for?

Thanks so much. This is my first visit here.

I feel perfectly fine in posting my email addy, goldcountryrose at a o l d o t c o m

Copper, brass, and bronze are not magnetic, so your test doesn't help much one way one the other. The copies you cite from 1960 would be readily apparent anyone familiar with the genuine cents. That still would not confirm that it were genuine, but it would be a big start. Unfortunately, absent clear images, it is difficult to be of more help. Are there any coin dealers in your area?

Welcome to CoinPeople, goldcountryrose! :art:

Looking at the link, I remember that it was actually me who first expressed some doubts ... but later on decided that they were amiss because I was unaware of the two major verieties of this coin. Where did you see "the fake from 1960" anywhere in that thread??? Or is there a known 1960's fake published somewhere else?

In addition to what Bill said, you should know that it is sometimes possible to guarantee that a coin is fake provided with a good image of it. Unfortunately, the reverse does not hold true ... it is NOT possible to guarantee that a coin is genuine without examining it in person. There are just too many clever fakes out there (of all kinds of coins) which look so similar to the real thing that pictures alone are not reliable.

If you really want to know, you have two choices:

(1) Buy some special books, study lots of coin auction pictures (e.g. Heritage has great archives: http://www.ha.com) and become an expert of sorts on the coins you need to know about;

(2) As Bill said, go to a reputable dealer or someone else who is an expert;

(3) Send it to one of the major grading companies (PCGS or NGC) and see what they say about it.

The later copies are pictured in Medcalf and Russell's Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog. They are low relief brass, the letting is a different style, and the reverse has a small inscription stating the piece is a souvenir of Hawaii. Those copies would be readily apparent to anyone who has seen a real Hawaiian cent and almost everyone familiar with brass souvenirs.

Archived