CoinPeople.com

Hawaiian Copper - Hapa haneri

NumisMattic2200

I've been Binging this and it seems quite a rare piece - hope it's real :ninja: mintage of only 100,000!

According to WikiAnswers, this is what it's worth, "A Hapa Heneri in fine condition is listed in at least two collectors catalogs at $400. Very fine coins are listed at around $500 and exceptional at $700."

Hmm and wow spring to mind! ;)

I really wonder if it's genuine, though. The portrait doesn't look right to me, and the digits in the date look misaligned (e.g., the "7" seems to be too low). Also, the tip of the "4" should be more to the left of the center seam of the king's garment. Yours lines up exactly. The last dot after the legend on the right should also be lower than the corner of the king's bust, going by pictures in the red book (2008 edition, page 380).

Sorry, but I think it's a fake. Given the rarity of these, it would make a good candidate to counterfeit, wouldn't it?

I should have checked my Breen Enc. before posting ... there are two main varieties of this one, and some with different numbers of berries in the wreath, and it appears that you have Breen 8028 with 15 berries (the red book shows, and mentions, only Breen 8029).

Congratulations! :ninja:

I'm also not an expert, but I look at Hawaiian coins whenever I have the chance. I've always had a softspot for them. It looks good to me. Great acquisition.

I really wonder if it's genuine, though. The portrait doesn't look right to me, and the digits in the date look misaligned (e.g., the "7" seems to be too low). Also, the tip of the "4" should be more to the left of the center seam of the king's garment. Yours lines up exactly. The last dot after the legend on the right should also be lower than the corner of the king's bust, going by pictures in the red book (2008 edition, page 380).

Sorry, but I think it's a fake. Given the rarity of these, it would make a good candidate to counterfeit, wouldn't it?

Bob, although I agree with your sentiment and still feel it's quite possibly fake, I cannot make your reasons connect with the evidence on a photo from worldcoinarchives - to get to this I typed in hapa haneri.

2gt7r08.jpg

I assume that you have read my second post in this thread by now?

Sorry i did, but I didn't notice the same name + avatar - I must've skimmed them and just thought it was another person giving their two cents. Do you really believe it might be a true Hapa Haneri?

Sorry i did, but I didn't notice the same name + avatar - I must've skimmed them and just thought it was another person giving their two cents. Do you really believe it might be a true Hapa Haneri?

My initial reservations arose because I was unaware of the different varieties, so yes, I do believe it might be genuine. Your coin certainly matches the images shown of the variety which is not pictured in the red book, which was the basis for my assumption.

Just to confuse things here - the issue with the dot between moi and the corner of the epaulette...well here are the other examples that can be found on the net. I am confused hehe...

140w20g.jpg

2qv470l.jpg

Looks like you have found nice images of the second of the two main varieties here! They do differ a bit from the first, which is why I initially believed that yours might have been a fake.

Not so obvious now, obviously! :ninja:

Archived