CoinPeople.com

Gold Coins Gifted into Bell Ringer Kettles

Nightwing

Well, instead of me digging through news articles for rare coins donated to the Salvation Army's kettle's Coin News has done it for me this year :ninja: :

http://www.coinnews.net/2008/12/24/gold-co...r-kettles-4642/

They say in the article the US American Eagle and the South African Krugerrands are popular again this year. The article mentions the legend of how the Krugerrands became red kettle favorites to donate:

"The legend says a World War II veteran started donating Krugerrands as a means of showing his gratitude for the Salvation Army’s front line service during the war. After he died the legend says his children and others have kept the tradition alive during the holiday bucket drives."

So has anyone here ever done something like this? I know last year another forum had a member donate a gold coin to one of the Salvation Army's red kettles so I am curious if anyone from this site has ever done this?

Yeah I heard a story a few days ago about an unknown donor in Florida that donates a double eagle every year in memory of a lost love. Has been doing it for 50+ years.

I wonder what they do with the collectible coins?

• 1 year later...

Archived