CoinPeople.com

1802 - Concordat

1802 Concordat, France.

962740.jpg

d'Essling 980 - Details - 41mm R+

The Concordat of 1801 returned the Catholic Faith to a position of prominence in France. However the arrangement was on Napoleon's terms and many of the concessions he forced were against the Pope's wishes. These included civil and religious rights for Protestants and Jews.

As important as the event was only about 2 or 3 medals were produced of which this is the rarest. The famous one issued by the Paris mint is not one I yet own but the link leads to a beautiful example.

The obverse is an example of a bad case of tin pest. Sigh...

1802 Concordat, France.

962740.jpg

d'Essling 980 - Details - 41mm R+

The Concordat of 1801 returned the Catholic Faith to a position of prominence in France. However the arrangement was on Napoleon's terms and many of the concessions he forced were against the Pope's wishes. These included civil and religious rights for Protestants and Jews.

As important as the event was only about 2 or 3 medals were produced of which this is the rarest. The famous one issued by the Paris mint is not one I yet own but the link leads to a beautiful example.

The obverse is an example of a bad case of tin pest.

OMG !!!! Thanks for your post. This is a stunning piece and the "NAPOLEON BONAPARTE PREMIER CONSUL" piece is breath taking. I surely hope that you will be successful in obtaining one

Archived