CoinPeople.com

A Guide to Peace Dollars by Roger W. Burdette

mmarotta

A Guide Book of Peace Dollars by Roger W. Burdette with Barry Lovvorn (Valuations editor, :Lawrence R. Stack), 2008, 277 pages, $19.95.

This is another in Whitman’s “The Official Red Book” series.

The first half (176 pages) tells the full story, replete with illustrations recovered from Mint archives and other sources. The second half is the year-by-year price guide, with linear matrices of prices and certified populations, both by grade. High-magnification pictures illustrate the details of varieties.

The Bibliography of 71 sources cites the usual suspects – Taxay, Breen, DeLorey, Julian, et al. – but also the collected papers of Eva Bertrand Adams, Hermon Atkins MacNeil and Henry Morgenthau, Jr., among others, including the National Archives and Records Administration holdings for three U.S. Presidents.

How many varieties does it list? Does it give good diagnostics?

I think that the diagnostics are fine. It is not my area of collecting, however. Also, this is not a complete guide to all known varieties. Perhaps 100 or so are listed. For instance, for the 1923-P "dozens" are known, but only nine are listed. Again, for the 26-D, four are known, two are shown.

This might seem disappointing, but I look at it like this. Suppose you want to build a Year and Mint set. It is pretty easy to do this with mere money. But, if you are aware of the varieties and are willing to invest the time and effort at looking at coins at shows and shop, you can build a Year and Mint set where many of the specimens are varieties. That makes the set more interesting.

Archived