CoinPeople.com

New York City Golden Jubilee Medal 1898-1948.

945875.jpg1898 to 1948 New York City Golden Anniversary Medal for the expansion of New York in 1898. 77mm bronze. 2 small cracks.

Is this a common medal? Could not find the medal on the web. Found some info on the celebrations:

The New York City Golden Jubilee, held in 1948, was a multi-tiered, months-long commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the consolidation of the five boroughs of Greater New York (that was a controversial measure that expanded New York City from some 60 sq. miles to over 300 sq. miles in 1898).

Its focal point was an exposition held at the Grand Central Palace, a pre-Coliseum trade show hall near Grand Central Station. The exposition mostly featured displays by various municipal agencies. Its biggest draw, however, was an exhibit entitled “Man and the Atom” which raved about the supposed cure-all that was atomic energy. The celebration also featured a parade down Fifth Avenue in June and an international air show in July.

• 4 weeks later...

"Medal for the expansion of New York in 1898"

Obviously not made in 1898, as it is dated 1948, so it was made in 1948.

One of the many large "Souvenir Pennies", some of which were listed in the booklet by Alpert. I collect them from Rockford IL and the area. There are a LARGE number of these, I must have 30-40 in stock.

"Medal for the expansion of New York in 1898"

Obviously not made in 1898, as it is dated 1948, so it was made in 1948.

One of the many large "Souvenir Pennies", some of which were listed in the booklet by Alpert. I collect them from Rockford IL and the area. There are a LARGE number of these, I must have 30-40 in stock.

Many thanks for the info especially about the booklet by Alpert, but I did make clear it was struck in 1948 for an event to celebrate the 1898 expansion:

"1948 New York City Golden Anniversary Medal for the expansion of New York in 1898".

Obviously it could not have been struck in 1898 for an event that took place 50 years later.

• 10 years later...