CoinPeople.com

Is this an error on this morgan?

Vfox

I have a 1921-s Morgan silver dollar and I was wondering if it's an error coin or not. I am not very familiar partial collar strikes, so I wasn't really sure what this might be. I got it from a friends collection at a good price, so either way I'm well off. Anyway, the entire rim of the coin is angled downward towards the middle like someone had it between two wheels and turned it. The reeding on the edge isn't complete either, and the coin seems to be just a hair wider (barely noticable) than a normal morgan of that year. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!

14y502g.jpg

14y5092.jpg

14y50k3.jpg

14y50no.jpg

Did you weigh the coin? Is the weight OK?

I don't have a digital scale, so I'm not able to weigh it properly. :ninja:

Take a look at the coins in your pocket, especially the nickels, and you will often see the same thing.

After the blanks are fed through the upsetting mill to raise the rim the edge of the planchet is rounded and not straight up and down. When the coin is struck and the planchet expands, it first makes contact with the collar in the center of the edge. As the pressure increases the edge fills upwards and downwards until the rims fill in completely. If the pressure is low the rims don't fill completely and there will be a beveled area between the rim and the edge where it made contact with the collar.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I have another question about this coin. I've been looking over it again, and it has a doubled reverse with a micro S style, also a large die crack at about 5 o clock leading all the way up the right side of the wreath. I can't really find a VAM listing for this coin, and wanted to know if anyone has any additional information about this specific variety. Thanks.

I checked my old VAM Morgan book and nothing is listed which you described. Probably a more recent discovery. Let us know what you find out. I'm always interested in VAM's even though I don't own any.

I spoke incorrectly about this being a DDR, it's not, I had it confused with a 1904-O I have. But it does have the die crack I spoke of, and nobody seems to know much about it, maybe it was just a random cracked die?

Did you check Rob's site? He is the 21 master :lol:

Rob Joyce

I'm too old to see anything on your pics, they need to be way bigger :cry:

That and the link to vam worlds a real nice info site. Bookmarked. Thanks! :ninja:

Very helpful sites btw!

Here are some better pics of the 21. The arrows show the Rev die crack.

23rtgrk.jpg

23rth85.jpg

Archived