CoinPeople.com

1800 Battle of Marengo

1800 King George III Preserved from Assassination, Great Britain.

BHM 486

912657.jpg

On May 15th 1800 the KIng, his wife and daughters attended the theater where a discharged soldier stood up and fired a horse pistol at the King. The assailant was captured, tried and found not guilty by reason of insanity (for those who thought that was a modern plea).

These were stuck on different thickness flans and was reissued after the engraver's death. They're very common.

Slightly less common are the white metal strikes but they're usually in pretty poor shape.

901470.jpg

And another in white metal:

904977.jpg

1800 Irish Commerce Protected, Great Britain

BHM 492

Dalton and Hamer 1165

907603.jpg

These two are farthings from the end of the period of private tokens commonly known as Conders. Both descriptions match BHM 492 but as you can see the two varieties were identified separately in Dalton & Hamer

Dalton & Hamer 1164

907602.jpg

• 3 months later...

1800 Passage du Saint-Bernard, France

Bramsen 33

d'Essling 827

917168.jpg

58mm Link

Probably one of the most recognizable medals, and images, of the Napoleonic era. The ones seen are usually modern restrikes or later, larger, versions of each side released as lead wall hangings. However, an original like this is not only rare but usually in horrible shape. This was a fortunate purchase more years ago than I like to think and at the time was the most expensive medal I owned. Probably still is... :ninja:

1800 Colonne Departmentale, France

Laskey XV

Bramsen 64

d'Essling 849

901534.jpg

60mm Link

A fair amount of time during 1800-1801 in Frances seems to have been spent going about commemorating something or other. It was an opportunity for the 19th century equivalent of a "photo op". All these politicians came and laid wreaths, dedicated columns and such. Who knows whether anything was ever built or remembered. But the 1800-01 period is noteworthy in the large number of oversize medals (50+ mm) produced.

• 4 years later...

According to the flip I bought this for $48 and probably thought I was being ripped off! All that I had until this morning was an old scan of this medal. I pulled the box of my 1800 and 1801 medals out of the safe last night so you'll be inundated with new pics on this thread! :ninja:

1800 Battle of Marengo

Laskey XII

Bramsen 37

d'Essling 833

912555.jpg

And you can click here for higher res pics (and much larger if you click the pictures) along with Laskey's narrative from 1818. Famously (at least in the tiny world of Napoleon medal collectors) the reverse depicts 11 keys to castles turned over to the French by the Austrians after the battle. In fact they turned over 12 but the engraver was working with the first draft of the treaty in hand instead of the final.

According to the flip I bought this for $48 and probably thought I was being ripped off! All that I had until this morning was an old scan of this medal. I pulled the box of my 1800 and 1801 medals out of the safe last night so you'll be inundated with new pics on this thread! :ninja:

1800 Battle of Marengo

Laskey XII

Bramsen 37

d'Essling 833

912555.jpg

And you can click here for higher res pics (and much larger if you click the pictures) along with Laskey's narrative from 1818. Famously (at least in the tiny world of Napoleon medal collectors) the reverse depicts 11 keys to castles turned over to the French by the Austrians after the battle. In fact they turned over 12 but the engraver was working with the first draft of the treaty in hand instead of the final.

Archived