CoinPeople.com

New member intro

worldcoinguy

I am new to the coinpeople site, and I wanted to say hello. gxseries mentioned this Russian forum in a different site, and I thought I would check it out. I collect mainly Russian 19th and 20th century roubles (that is.....what I can afford), and I also have an interest in the early German States material. I think I can learn quite a bit from this forum and hopefully contribute also.

I will share my favorite rouble while I am at it.  I like the patina in particular on this one.

Welcome to coinpeople, worldcoinguy! :lol:

I think you will find the people here very pleasant and the experience rewarding!

That's a stunning rouble, BTW! :ninja: May I ask what the other main areas of interest are that you collect? (After all, your moniker is "worldcoinguy"...)

This one is overstruck on a ruble of Peter III. You can see traces of his cuirass and collar under Catherine's portrait.

[illustration of a 1763 MMD rouble.]

Congratulations on owning a very rare coin in high grade. Over the past several years I have been gathering photos of roubles from 1757 through 1796 and now have exactly 2600 different. The 1763 Moscow issue has shown up just 11 times, which compares nicely to the 1763 St. Petersburg count at 106 and the 1764 St. Petersburg number of 186. Your piece, by the way, came from the World Wide Coins of California sale 12 (November 1987).

RWJ

This one is overstruck on a ruble of Peter III. You can see traces of his cuirass and collar under Catherine's portrait.

[illustration of a 1763 MMD rouble.]

Congratulations on owning a very rare coin in high grade. Over the past several years I have been gathering photos of roubles from 1757 through 1796 and now have exactly 2600 different. The 1763 Moscow issue has shown up just 11 times, which compares nicely to the 1763 St. Petersburg count at 106 and the 1764 St. Petersburg number of 186. Your piece, by the way, came from the World Wide Coins of California sale 12 (November 1987).

RWJ

Thank you for your kind comments. This coin is one of my favorites.

In addition to being overstruck, the coin has also been re-edged. Traces of the original lettered edge can be seen under the familiar lined edge used for Catherine's rubles. Unfortunately, not enough of the original edge remains to determine whether the Peter III undercoin was an СПБ or ММД issue.

Welcome to coinpeople, worldcoinguy!  :lol:

I think you will find the people here very pleasant and the experience rewarding!

That's a stunning rouble, BTW!  :ninja: May I ask what the other main areas of interest are that you collect? (After all, your moniker is "worldcoinguy"...)

Thanks for the welcomes. I collect mainly roubles and talers from austria and the german states......that is the limit to my worldliness at the current time. The moniker is a result of a lack of imagination I suppose. I started with roubles back in the mid 1990s and only recently developed an interest in the 1600s and 1700s talers. I dont have many talers, but I have found much interest in the area after the recent appreciation of prices in the russian arena.

My love of russian material started from a visit to Kiev back in 1993.....all it took was a common type set of russian coppers I stumbled upon on the street to get the ball rolling (fake of course, but I didnt have the eye to tell the difference) .

Over the past several years I have been gathering photos of roubles from 1757 through 1796 and now have exactly 2600 different.

Do I see a companion book to your book on Russian silver from 1796-1917 on the horizon, perhaps? :ninja:

If so, please do let us know when it is going to be available!

...I collect mainly roubles and talers from austria and the german states...

There are some coins and medals which might appeal to both your interests, such as the 1753 albertus taler of Karl Peter Ulrich of Holstein-Gottorp, later Peter III of Russia. After Elizabeth, Russia's rulers were more German than Russian anyway (although Catherine II made a tremendous effort to become more Russian than the Russians, being far more intelligent than her former husband who admired everything Prussian).

Peter III foolishly sued for peace with Frederick the Great of Prussia (Elizabeth had him on the ropes at the time of her death) and imported Prussian styles into Russian coinage (such as the flag-bugle-drum design of his coppers) to a Prussian-style Preobrazhensky Guard uniform - policies which earned him few friends in the Imperial Court and did nothing to help prevent his downfall and replacement by his wife.

Do I see a companion book to your book on Russian silver from 1796-1917 on the horizon, perhaps? :D

If so, please do let us know when it is going to be available!

I appreciate the comment but not likely. At present I am publishing, in the RNS Journal, material on various aspects of Catherine II's coinage, which is intended for those collectors specializing in this area. I am concentrating on the gold and upper-value silver and have done little with the minor silver, which would be a major undertaking in itself.

In addition, Steve Moulding has been doing a fine job with rarities of the copper coinage; his published material on the 5 kopecks of 1763-1796 was an enormous undertaking, involving several thousand coins; for the first time we have true comparitive rarities for the various mints and dates.

The photos of the 1764 and 1769 roubles posted with this thread are appreciated. The 1769 is new to my data base while the 1764 is a better photo than originally appeared when it sold on eBay in August 2004.

RWJ

The 1769 is new to my data base while the 1764 is a better photo than originally appeared when it sold on eBay in August 2004.

RWJ

I'm impressed. That's amazing!

That database of yours sounds very useful. :ninja:

Archived