CoinPeople.com

Picked up this raw Toned Morgan on Ebay....

kryptonitecomics

Seems like I am having a lot of success with raw Toned Morgans on Ebay lately.....I think most aren't confident enough in their AT detection to go after coins not in plastic. While their are a lot of suspecious characters out their on Ebay, you can still find some genuinely nice coins if you have a good feel for toning patterns, colors etc. I picked this one upf for a $60 BIN and no reverse photo was included. The seller stated in the auction that the reverse was toned like the obverse and what do you know.....it was :lol: Seller also graded this an MS63 which is what I grade it. Some of what looks like scuffiness on the cheek is just toning breaks so it's solid for the grade but I can't see it making 64 at either of the big two.

I think it looks very similar to another raw Morgan I picked up a few months back.......that coin now resides in an NGC MS64 holder.

So do you folks approve???? :ninja:

1880SRaw.JPG

NGC MS64 purchased Raw....

1882SMorgan.jpg

I approve 100%. I'm one of those that are not confident in their AT detection, especially over the Internet. In hand is much easier for me as I can see the coin at different angles. Someday I'll be able to detect AT like some people.

Is this going off to NGC as well? A estimate of 63 is fair for that one. No * designation though (but we've been fooled before).

I don't mean to be the bad guy here... I do hope that they slab that first one... to me from the pictures it appears to be artifically toned. the reason I say this is because of the white spots on the reverse. I hope I am wrong... The coin could be completely natural... But I know a couple of graders at NGC very well and they might not go for that coin.

Don't worry about being the bad guy...speaking you mind is what should be expected around here.

Let me tell you why this coin is 100% natural and then I'll tell you about how you are misinterpreting the white spots. :ninja:

When you hold the coin in hand you can see that the color is part of the coins surface and does not impair the luster in any way. Second the color progression is a natural one going from the golds to the light blue and then dark blue and then a rose red.....this is very difficult to duplicate if not impossible when using heat and chemicals. Also the rims are fully toned which you don't typically see on AT'd coins....but this buy itself is not an indication of originality but when tied in with the other factors......it's proof positive.

Finally what you are interpreting as white spots is simply places where the toning has been pulled away from the coin. You will only see this on classic bag toned coins that have sat in bank valuts for decades. The coins are pressed against the sides of the bag so tightly that the thin layer of Silver sulfied begins to form on the coins surface. Sometimes when the coins are removed they are stuck to the side of the bag and once pulled away, pieces of the silver sulfied layer actually stay stuck to the bag. Basically they flake off :cry:

So this is a coin that is absolutely 100% NT and would holder at any of the major TPGs. I can't say that about all toned coins but this one has all of the right diagnostics and I consider this are my specialty since all I collect is toned coins :lol:

I do appreciate the feedback and I certainly don't expect everyone to be as excited about some of the coins I post....we all have different tastes and that's cool with me ;)

Archived