CoinPeople.com

1801 Unknown Medal

I'm looking for help on this one. I picked it up for about $5 so I can't lose. I think the language is Danish but it could be Norwegian I suppose. I'm fairly certain it's not Swedish but I'll probably be wrong... :ninja:

912511.jpg

Obverse:

arbeidsom flittig. sparsom abdru. tro og god giver mennesket velsignelse og fornoieligt brod alle livets 18 dage. 01.

Reverse:

for gode handlingir og landet gavnlig flid af lieutenant h. v. buchvald

I know I've probably spelled a couple things wrong. There's at least 2 words with an o and 2 dots (umlaut?) and the ab of abdru is a conjoined letter. There are several letters that aren't as clear as you could hope. Any help as to its purpose and a translation however rough would be appreciated!

Here's the lousy "translation" from one of those online translator programs (these things rarely work well !!!) ... and it is Danish:

Obverse: arbeidsom industrious. sparse abdru. trust and good treats the human being blessing and fornoieligt brother all the life 18 days. 01.

Reverse: by good action and country salutary assiduity from lieutenant h. v. buchvald

I know ... it doesn't really help much :ninja:

Here's the lousy "translation" from one of those online translator programs (these things rarely work well !!!) ... and it is Danish:

Obverse:  arbeidsom industrious. sparse abdru. trust and good treats the human being blessing and fornoieligt brother all the life 18 days. 01.

Reverse:  by good action and country salutary assiduity from lieutenant h. v. buchvald

I know ... it doesn't really help much :lol:

:ninja:

:cry:

• 8 years later...

Very interesting medal. Its definitely norwegian.

The obverse reads:

HARDWORKING

DILIGENT. SPARSE

SOBER. FAITH AND GOOD

GIVES MAN

BLESSING AND

ENJOYABLE BREAD

ALL OF LIFE'S

18 DAYS 01

The reverse reads:

FOR GOOD DEEDS AND COUNTRY EXPEDIENT DILIGENCE BY LIEUTENANT H. v. BUCHVALD

H v. Buchvald was a norwegian officer by the name Hans von Buchvald.

I know he set up some private prices in the early 1800s.

I will try and dig some more, but I am a little occupied the first couple of weeks.

PS! Norway was a part of Denmark in 1801 and the written language the same.

Very interesting medal. Its definitely norwegian.

The obverse reads:

HARDWORKING

DILIGENT. SPARSE

SOBER. FAITH AND GOOD

GIVES MAN

BLESSING AND

ENJOYABLE BREAD

ALL OF LIFE'S

18 DAYS 01

The reverse reads:

FOR GOOD DEEDS AND COUNTRY EXPEDIENT DILIGENCE BY LIEUTENANT H. v. BUCHVALD

H v. Buchvald was a norwegian officer by the name Hans von Buchvald.

I know he set up some private prices in the early 1800s.

I will try and dig some more, but I am a little occupied the first couple of weeks.

PS! Norway was a part of Denmark in 1801 and the written language the same.

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. Nice info. Hope to see you here more often. :bthumbsup:

Thanks Art1.2.

If elverno is still active here it would be interesting to get more information about the medal, like diameter, weight and metal.

If you also could post/send some high res photos it would be perfect.

Elverno doesn't stop by too often these days. You might want to try sending him a pm.

A couple of days ago I tried to send elverno a PM, unfortunately without response. I would really like to dig some more into the history about this medal and it would be a lot easier with some facts. Do anyone know elverno and if so could you help me with this?

Best regards

• 2 months later...

Had almost forgotten about this one.

It was made two different medals of this sort, from 1801 and 1802. It was made on behalf of lieutenant Buchvald as a private project to encourage patriotic acts. The diameter is 31 mm and the weight is 7g in silver.

Reference: Bergsøe 38 (1801) and 39 (1802).