CoinPeople.com

My poltina collection (Nicholas II)

bobh

Some of my better ones: 50 kopek coins

Be sure to look at the 1910 and 1914 specimens! They aren't proofs, but the 1914 comes pretty close to being proof-like. Of course, these aren't all the 50 kopek coins I have, but most of the rest is only about VF-30 or so (at best). I threw in the 1902 specimen because it is extremely rare.

Anyone else gotten "hooked" on these 50 kopek coins?

I've been more attracted to 18th century coins, so the 19th century is somewhat under-represented in my collection.

I have a group of 3 poltiny of Peter I that I particularly enjoy. Most of my silver coins are rubles.

The poltina series is much tougher than the rubles. It seems that in most countries, the half-crown size coins are usually much harder to find than the crowns. Russia fits this pattern.

:lol: Wonderfull coins! The 1914 is magnificent! :ninja:

The best poltinas I have:

900090.jpg

1896 AG

905849.jpg

1897 *

903660.jpg

1900 FZ

906127.jpg

1912 EB

899579.jpg

1913 VS

These are the ones I have in my album, the rest(AG-F) are in a box with other low grade stuff.

Oh! And I just recently bought a 1911, which hasn't even arrived yet.

While Tane may think that his 1902, for example, is not up to par I think otherwise. For several of the poltinas under Nicholas II it is very difficult to find them at all, let alone high quality. My specimen of the 1902 is about the same grade as his, for example. For those who have examined the Smithsonian holdings (the silver and copper of Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich) some of the 18th century pieces are only Very Good to Fine.

It is worth noting, for those interested in mintage figures, that the mint report of 19 pieces for 1903 covers only those coins officially distributed to museums and Imperial collections, including that of the Grand Duke. The true mintage is more like 200 or 300 when one includes those pieces sold in proof to collectors but such figures were never included in published reports of the St. Petersburg Mint.

The mintage problem is actually compounded because even the published reports are for fiscal years, that for 1903 actually covering October 1, 1902, through September 30, 1903.

The photographs are well done.

RWJ

• 4 years later...

Bobh and Tane,

Thanks to Bobh for starting this thread! That is quite the impressive collection of poltiny that you have there! I have a few specimens, but nothing near the quality you have. My focus has not been on the Nicholas II poltiny but after seeing your examples, I could easily see that being an area of focus in the future.

Tane, you have quite the nice set too. I like the 1897 because I like darker coins with nice details because they are like a sleeper coin that you can really grow to appreciate unlike a lot of BU coins without a lot of "character."

On the other hand, your 1913's fields are simply mesmerizing.

Nice Bob ! :bthumbsup:

Thank you! :art:

By the way ... from what moment poltina 1900 started to be rare ? :confus:

Here is the last example:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Russland-Silber-50-Kopek-1900-F-S-SELTEN-/380309859756?pt=M%C3%BCnzen_Medaillen&hash=item588c3bedac

:shock: This was almost as much as I paid for mine (310€ + 15% buyers fee) which I would grade UNC (MS-63 or so):

RUSSIA_50k_1900_FZ_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_50k_1900_FZ_rev.thumb.jpg

In the Nov. 2009 Elmen (WWCC) auction, a 1900 poltina in similar condition brought $1300.

In the Nov. 2008 NGSA auction, a 1900 poltina which was slabbed MS-64 by NGC brought $2800.

So in that context, one could say that prices are actually going down! :hysterical:

In a previous thread "WWC auction", Candidate gave a pretty good explanation of why this date (in high grade) might be rarer than others which are considered scarce, such as 1911.

Thanks to Bobh for starting this thread! That is quite the impressive collection of poltiny that you have there! I have a few specimens, but nothing near the quality you have. My focus has not been on the Nicholas II poltiny but after seeing your examples, I could easily see that being an area of focus in the future.

Thanks, nicholasz219! :art:

Good luck if you decide to venture on this crazy series, though ... I think it is easier (and probably cheaper) to get all the roubles than the poltinas of Nicholas II. I have made things a lot easier by deciding a long time ago not to collect either of the proof-only years (1898 and 1903) and none of the other proofs, either.

Some years are not considered rare, yet I still have no 1899-СПБ strikes in any condition over VF, and I never see any offered for auction in higher grades than that. And others, really scarce years such as 1901-AR or 1902, I have only seen offered twice in over 5 years (except for one or two proof 1902's). There were a couple of VERY nice 1904 and 1906 poltinas offered recently in Gorny & Mosch auctions, but I just wasn't able to put up so much money (5,000 € or about $7,500 with buyers fee).

So it is possible, but it means keeping a lot of money saved just for the moment one of the rare ones appears at auction. Then there is the very real possibility that you will be outbid. And the possibility that you bid on a fake -- you need to study the series very well. I highly recommend getting the Kazakov reference first (IF you can find one, that is). Last summer, I also wrote an article for the Journal of the Russian Numismatic Society (JRNS) summarizing the different die characteristics of these coins and pointing out some of the fakes. Might want to get that back issue if you can.

I can show you UNC 1901-AR.

This coin was slabbed MS64 by NGC a couple weeks ago.

Hope you`ll find at least the same or better for your collection Bob :)

1901.jpg

:drool:

Congratulations :clapping: ... and welcome to CoinPeopole, Lundgaar!

• 2 weeks later...

Some years are not considered rare, yet I still have no 1899-СПБ strikes in any condition over VF, and I never see any offered for auction in higher grades than that.

Yes, these "common" years are hard to find in high quality (at AU55 and above). I have been watching ebay (my major source of coins) very closely for 1.5 years by now. Only once did I spot a decent 1899 АГ. I snatched it, of course (here it is). Actually, it was in the ANACS slab with the edge completely hidden. I had to break the slab to see it. The coin has just returned from NGC graded as AU58 which is probably correct.

Archived