CoinPeople.com

Satin finish US Mint set coins

Art

Are you including the satin finish coins from US Mint sets as separate items in your collection?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Are you including the satin finish coins from US Mint sets as separate items in your collection?

• Yes, they're a distinct variety of the circulating coins
    • No, I only collect coins that are actually circulating coins
    • Unsure - I'll wait to see if this new mint set thing continues
    • Yes, but I probably won't collect the circulation grade coins
    • No, I'd like to but I won't be forced to buy Mint Sets to get them
    • Unsure - I really haven't thought about it.

Well Art- I read the question which asked if I was keeping the satin finish coins as a seperate ID'd item in my collection. Well, yes, I annotate that the mint set has the satin finish. The best pick from your answers however was: Yes, but I probably won't collect the circulation grade coins.

And I doubt seriously if I will collect any 2006, (0r 2007, 2008, 2009, etc., etc., etc.) circulating coins. I have new rolls of the nickels and quarters, but any change I get is not picked through from 1964 on and just tossed in the coin jar to later roll and turn in for folding.

Do they even hold a premium right now? To be honest I don't buy mint sets (except for my oddball 1999 set), and this is the first I've heard of this "new" finish. Are they like this coin: http://cgi.ebay.com/Graded-2005-P-First-Da...1QQcmdZViewItem or arn't they considered specimens?

Can't tell much from the picture, but the US Mint Sets from 2005 & supposedly 2006 and onward have coins of each denimination but they differ from the circulating coins struck by the Mint in that they have specially prepared satin finish planchettes. I haven't seen them yet - don't have a 2005 Mint Set. I know that the CoinWorld values magazine does have a separate listing for them.

I voted #4, since I buy an extra mint set every year to cut up and put in albums, those are the coins that will go in them. All my 2005 coins in the albums from cents to halves are the mint set coins (satin finish) but I won't make any effort to get the regular coins.

• 7 months later...

Archived