CoinPeople.com

Proof set circulation fun

Vfox

I've got it into my head that I've never seen a circulated proof set before, so I decided to do just that. I will take a pic every week or so and post on how the coins are doing as they ride around my pocket for the next coming months. It's a 1977 proof set. Let's see what happens!

:ninja:

123b4i0.jpg

123b4tx.jpg

123b50o.jpg

123b6eq.jpg

Haha, I knew I would get a few YOU MONSTER comments lol. I actually felt bad taking them out of the packaging and popping them into my pocket to tell you the truth. But, after the first day they are actually showing slight signs of wear on the highest points. And I'm not sure if anyone else has every held a handful of proof coins, but they just "feel" different, wether it's weight or relief something, they just have a different feel in hand. Around this time next week I'll post a new set of photos to show this little experiments outcome. I think I'll have them in pocket for 2 months, but maybe less depending. I can't wait to see the looks on everyones faces when I compare a 1963 franklin half proof set to this one lol! :ninja:;);):lol::cry:;)

How long before one gets accidentialy spent?

I keep my pocket change in my right pocket, and I keep the proof set in the left. I am completely OCD over that too, I keep coins I find out of circ I want in the left as well. I can't say 100% it won't happen, but I'll try my best lol. :ninja:

I keep my pocket change in my right pocket, and I keep the proof set in the left. I am completely OCD over that too, I keep coins I find out of circ I want in the left as well. I can't say 100% it won't happen, but I'll try my best lol.  :ninja:

My circ "keepers" normally go in that otherwise useless tiny kangeroo pocket in my jeans. :lol:

My circ "keepers" normally go in that otherwise useless tiny kangeroo pocket in my jeans. :lol:

I can't fit my fingers in that pocket normally lol. Besides, I want these coins to get the full run of circulation as pocket change. Currently in my left pocket is: 1977 proof coins, cell phone, pen and a pencil (an artist always has at least one lol), my jewelers' business card (getting engaged next month...shh! :cry: ), a 1973-S cent i got in change today, and listerine breath strips. I'm not even going into how much I keep in my other pocket lol. Oddly enough I don't look like I'm "lumpy" around my pocket areas....gatta love baggy jeans! ;):ninja: Also, some photos or scans will be up on Wednesday/Thursday. ;)

Well after one week, they are holding up pretty well. Other than the cent, which has tarnished so much it almost looks like your average circulation grade cent. Mainly some wear on the highest points, and some hairlines in the mirrored surfaces, other than that still great looking, I wonder why they don't make normal coins like this? Another couple weeks of this should be interesting.

14mxuvp.jpg

14myib7.jpg

14myihk.jpg

Next set of weekly pics.

15g85xl.jpg

15g8lkm.jpg

I still say they are holding up great, some more hairlines in the mirrored surfaces, but still much nicer than a normal circ issue coin.

It's interesting that the penny changed over the way it has.

Was it toned or changed at all before you took it out of the package?

It's interesting that the penny changed over the way it has.

Was it toned or changed at all before you took it out of the package?

Nope, not at all actually, it was just as mirrored as the clad coins.

• 2 weeks later...

Next batch. AND I LOST THE FRIGGIN CENT! Haha, so yeah I think it's somewhere in my car, so I'll have to look for it.....but it's currently MIA.

16kdn3m.jpg

16kdnpw.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The last week of pics for these I think, I'm moving onto my next project! (see below mwahaha)

20pt0dg.jpg

20pt0qx.jpg

My latest test subjects, I should be thrown into the looney bin for doing this lol, seriously though I'm having fun watching the wear patterns.

20psu2w.jpg

20psug2.jpg

20psvv5.jpg

nice stuff Vfox! :lol: The "monster" comments are funny too. :cry:

I dropped a set once and it popped open so I just spent the coins. I am sure there are more out there. Sadly I had some coins stolen and I think they were just popped open and spent. I've gotten several "proof-like" coins in change before (and unc years where they were only issued in mint sets) and they must come from busted sets or thieves.????

Keep the pics coming :ninja:

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Fat kids are harder to kidnap

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, next set of pics, this is the first full week (plus a few days because I procastinate) of the silver proof set, lets see how they look! To be honest, the clad seems to be holding up a little better, which I really was rooting for the silver lol.

21jsw35.jpg

21jt45y.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I go back to school in another week and I've decided to end this little experiment a little early. The silver proof set has not stood the test of the short times I've carried it around, these coins have shown heavy hairlines, bumps, digs, and considerable wear for just a few weeks. Also, I lost the friggin quarter! :ninja: As for the clad, well, they are not longer the bright reflective coins they once were, but they are still in nice shape, and held up for a considerable amount of time, and still looks great. Now, because I am ending this, I have one more thing to add, I will hold a random drawing in the contest and giveaway forum and one lucky (that's up for opinion on this lol) will take the 1977 proof set. Fun eh? Well here is the last post of pictures guys, hope you had some fun with this one, I know I did!

256z9c7.jpg

256za60.jpg

256z9dt.jpg

256zabo.jpg

Congrats to Wildjon, he won the giveaway for the 1977 circulated proof set. Hope everyone enjoyed this messy experiment, don't think too poorly of me hurting those little coins! :ninja:

Archived