CoinPeople.com

Hindenburg medallic 5 Marks

One I forgot I even had. Krause lists it as M1 under the Weimar Republic, Germany.

I've posted it here in the exonumia section because I think that is what it really is. Interesting silver proof by Goetz and struck in 1927 at Munich.

HindenburgM1a.jpg

HindenburgM1b.jpg

The Director of the Munich mint, Köl, encouraged Goetz to create a 5 Mark pattern on the occasion of the 80th birthday of President Paul von Hindenberg. The pattern (K-387) was presented to the Ministry of finance in Berlin, which subsequently did not approve it. “The time is not ripe” they said, and advised Goetz to remove the 5 Reichsmark inscription and change it into a commemorative medal. Goetz did just that and thus was born K-386 which you picture above.

This is the Goetz medal with the largest circulation. W & Company, his publishers for the piece, sold approximately 130,000 silver strikes, several thousand gold, and as many bronze strikes. Goetz had a contract with W & Company which provided that in addition to his fee of 3000 Marks, Goetz would receive 10% of the net profit for the silver and 15% for the bronze and gold medals. He never received any of the additional percentage.

BTW, This medal was never struck in proof, but in the general “BU”. The piece is often mistaken for a coin by many collectors while in reality only a couple of actual 5 RM patterns of the coin actually exist, and then, only in museums.

Below is an example of the far rarer K-475 piece commemorating seven years as president for Hindenburg. You’ll note the only difference between the K-386 and the K-475 are the dates in the exergue and the obvious absence of the “D” Munich mint mark on the K-475. This piece IS in proof.

K%20475.jpeg

I remember that these used to be found quite commonly mixed in with job lots at auction here in the UK during the '80's and 90's, with no - one really knowing just exactly what they were or their raison d'etre. I wonder how many of the 130,000 silver have survived into present time? In my Krause, it is listed as a pattern but not as a proof. I must have let my keyboard run with my sentiments rather than `fact'. Either that or I just mistook the descriptor for KMM2.

This one of mine came in a lot along with a nice (proof) silver medal of Heinrich Lubke (Bundespresident during the 1960's) and a couple of Prussian thalers from London Coin Auctions in 1994. All for the princely sum of £15. My Krause lists it at $30 but its values are now ten years out of date. Mind you, I doubt if its value has changed all that substantively.

Getting back to its `strike', perhaps `prooflike' is the more accurate descriptor. In terms of quality of strike, it is certainly that.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that Krause Mischler also lists Goetz as designing a proof gold ten mark medallic issue (KMM3) and a proof gold twenty mark medallic issue (KMM4) both dated 1928. There are silver versions (M3a and M4a) of the same date. I've never come across any of these.

Forgot to mention that Krause Mischler also lists Goetz as designing a proof gold ten mark medallic issue (KMM3) and a proof gold twenty mark medallic issue (KMM4) both dated 1928. There are silver versions (M3a and M4a) of the same date. I've never come across any of these.

I have both of these in my collection but have never taken the time to image them as yet. I'll get around to it one of these days :ninja:

I don't have many of the gold pieces in my collection....not because of the cost to acquire them, but because I prefer the cast pieces as opposed to the struck pieces. However, if I can find a good deal as I did with the gold 10 and 20 Mark examples, I'll buy them up.

I have both of these in my collection but have never taken the time to image them as yet.  I'll get around to it one of these days :ninja:

...try to make it soon. I'd love to see those. :lol: