CoinPeople.com

Where are the new designs?

tabbs

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do believe that Britain should pass him up, and go for King William IV and Queen Kate(hopefully)

Well that may happen, actually he will be William V (or William VI if Charles does take the throne). I think alot of people think Elizabeth II will live as long as the Queen Mother (and I really hope she does) but we never know when she will pass on.

TBH whether she's on the throne for another 2 years or 20 years Charles won't be on there long anyway

• 2 weeks later...
UKL8BUS_1.jpg

Just looking at this picture, if you look at the "back" card of this set you can see some designs in the top left, I wonder if any of these refer to the new designs, the 2p looks good

Right I got this set but the inside illustrations are different, however there is an interesting alternative image for the 50p, will I get in trouble for posting a picture of this or not?

Nice! Many thanks for the sneak peak! I like it too, it breaks the mould, makes a fresh change,

Unfortunately that's not the proposed design, that was a rejected one from 1969 which was reject as people at the time complained that there was no Britannia on the coins

Sadly it's only existance will only ever be as a drawing :ninja:

• 1 month later...

The first thing that came to mind when I heard about new coins for 2008 was "I bet they make the pound coin bi-metallic", that was before finding out that they will be pretty much the same except for the reverse.

I was thinking last night about how common these counterfeit pound coins are (I'm convinced I have another two).

I got to thinking. Would it not be possible for the Royal Mint to make a bi-metallic pound coin that matches the dimensions and weight and (possibly even resistance) of the currently circulating pound coin? Thus making counterfeiting harder while leaving little adjustment necessary to infrastructure.

I'm no expert (and so probably wrong :ninja: ) but is this within the scope of possibility?

It is possible but I'm not sure it would happen, I'm always finding counterfeit £1 coins and so I've only kept £3 as I'd end up losing money :ninja:

Clive.

• 2 weeks later...

An ever so minor update but a little bit of news. First off the new designs have been confirmed (by the metro) for release in April. Secondly and perhaps rather sadly the new designs will NOT feature Brittania on one of them :ninja:

Also the Queen has chosen these designs, lets just hope one chose wisely

I absolutely hate tabloids and hope every one of them a slow miserable death.

Notice how Brown is made out to have stormed into number 10 on day one demanding it be removed. Notice the Queen a few paragraphs later getting no slagging at all. Notice how Britannia on our coins is the only thing keeping this country afloat and without it we'll sink into the ocean and never be seen again. They do my nut in.

There are many ways that Brown can be shown to have ignored the Britishness he defends, they are really scraping the barrel if this is all they can come up with. Likewise there are many things that represent Britain better than Britannia. Just because something is historic or traditional doesn't mean it is relevant.

I'm not expressing any opinions in this post, just making points.

Amy Winehouse, Pete Doherty and Wayne Rooney are meant to be on the reverses.

Clive.

:ninja: Don't give them ideas

Ah, the British yellow press - well, a certain part of it - has found a new "campaign" theme. ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...d=1770&ct=5

In my opinion the article is ... errm, well. But the 50p designs on that page are kind of funny.

Christian

;) At the designs

As for the Daily Facist, sorry Daily Mail they as a paper are full of s***, apparently 700 billion evil immigrants are inbading us & screwing this country over ;)

I absolutely hate tabloids and hope every one of them a slow miserable death.

Notice how Brown is made out to have stormed into number 10 on day one demanding it be removed. Notice the Queen a few paragraphs later getting no slagging at all. Notice how Britannia on our coins is the only thing keeping this country afloat and without it we'll sink into the ocean and never be seen again. They do my nut in.

There are many ways that Brown can be shown to have ignored the Britishness he defends, they are really scraping the barrel if this is all they can come up with. Likewise there are many things that represent Britain better than Britannia. Just because something is historic or traditional doesn't mean it is relevant.

I'm not expressing any opinions in this post, just making points.

The Mail, Express & Star are the worst, especially the last two who at one stage were right up the a*** of the Labour Government :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear ... just the CoA (or rather various elements from the Royal Arms) on the new coins?

"An article in the London Gazette on February 15, 2008 revealed that all the new coins will have designs based around the UK's royal coat of arms, with each denomination focusing on particular quarters of the shield in the arms, representing particular constituent nations of the United Kingdom."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_coins#New_designs

Christian

These are pattern coins, hence the pattern under the creatures, these were the designs that were rejected in favour of our boring bridges. They were still issued in Royal Mint sets. Nice coins in my opinion, far better than bridges!

Clive.

Oh dear ... just the CoA (or rather various elements from the Royal Arms) on the new coins?

"An article in the London Gazette on February 15, 2008 revealed that all the new coins will have designs based around the UK's royal coat of arms, with each denomination focusing on particular quarters of the shield in the arms, representing particular constituent nations of the United Kingdom."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_coins#New_designs

Christian

At least it'll keep the Dail Heil, sorry Mail happy then, because the Royal Shield is tradtional

Archived