CoinPeople.com

Introduction

I have been a member for a while now, so I thought that I should introduce myself. I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I have been collecting since I was a boy in the early 1960s, and found a penny under the lake at Osoyoos- dabbling with my feet. The penny was dated 1927. I collect Canadian coins, paper, and tokens.

When I went to University the first time, I was introduced to Chinese coins- a friend gave me a piece that took me an hour to look up and identify- there was no Krause then. I found it in Arthur Bradden Coole's coins in China's History- a cash piece of Kang Hsi, 1662-1722, Beijing mint. I found an old Chinese coin in a 25 cent junk box, and 2 hours later, I had identified it as a Sung Dynasty piece, Hsi Ning 1068-1077.

I has done some work for a coin dealer, and when I told him about the second piece, He gave me a 1 pound cheese box full of Chinese coins. I was hooked. I collect Asian coins , paper money, and tokens. I am now getting more interested in the Indian and Iranian coins and paper issues.

I have catalogued the Asian coin collections at the Vancouver Museum (1800 pieces) and UBC's Museum of Anthropology (3000 pieces). I did a major display for the VM- 36 cases, 1080 pieces, text, illustrations, maps, and an illustrated catalogue, as well as many smaller displays.

I currently am a small dealer, in both coins and paper. I attend about 6-8 shows in the Vancouver area, and have a web site. I am the dealer who takes 2 boxes of books to the shows, along with the material for sale. I am upset with the numbers and types of counterfeits coming out of China now, as they can be really upsetting to people. They can also be a laugh- These coins belonged to my grandmother, who died in 1970, is one line that I was told at the last show that I went to. I told the person that her ghost must have been very strong to get fakes that were made after 1990 in her possession before 1970.

I really like this group- it seems the friendliest of any of the ones that I have visited around the web. I am glad to help people in areas that I know about, and if I don't know I may be able to make some good guesses.

Archived