CoinPeople.com

An oops?

gxseries

My guesses- 150 roubles, not a usual denomination

- 1980 Olympic games- the boycotted one, I guess

-Platinum Proof, worth 450 dollars when the rouble was not worth a dollar in real exchange value

-probably Russian citizens would not have been able to own this coin

What am I missing?

Close Grivna, close.

I am looking at the reverse (double head eagle) - the right side of the wing. I find that unusually interesting.

I see what MIGHT be traces of an undertype, but maybe that's just my imagination. There is some disturbance in the field which resembles a scepter, but it might just be some porosity in the coin.

At 3 o'clock, I see what might be traces of a wreath.

I don't recall any overstriking program taking place in 1812, so if it is an overstrike, maybe it was an error rather than planned?

Good eyes there Grivna.

That's the issue - I don't know how on earth the traces of wreath would appear there. If it is indeed an overstrike, it might be very unusual as most error coins of this era are often overstruck on brokeage coins. :ninja:

So yes, I am dying to know what the underlying image could possibly be.

Or else, it could just be another 2 kopek that was pressed into it and leaving that impression :lol:

Clashed dies?

Is that possible? I mean, unless the dies were fixed exactly 180 degrees opposite, I can't see it happening.

I mean, most Imperial coins were minted in coin alignment (both images upwards if you turn it side by side). If it is a case of die clashing, I would expect the wreath to be relatively similar, except it seems to be pointing downwards. :ninja:

Is that possible? I mean, unless the dies were fixed exactly 180 degrees opposite, I can't see it happening.

I mean, most Imperial coins were minted in coin alignment (both images upwards if you turn it side by side). If it is a case of die clashing, I would expect the wreath to be relatively similar, except it seems to be pointing downwards. :ninja:

I'm not sure it is a wreath, or even if it really is there. The coin needs to be seen in hand.

Archived