CoinPeople.com

Do you keep track?

Dave

Do you keep track of your collection?

I was wondering if perhaps my method of keeping track of my paper money collection was adequate. I keep a list mainly for insurance purposes in case of theft, fire/water damage etc. I was wondering what safeguards some of you have in tracking your collections and if mine measured up. I used to use a computer program made specifically for cataloguing my notes, but it had some glitch in it so I stopped.

What I currently have is a list of all my notes on my computer (with back-ups emailed to different email accounts) that list the country, denomination, year, serial number, grade, and whether is has ultraviolet properties and watermarks. I also have a scan of one type of each note as well the list which includes duplicates with different serial numbers, etc.

Is there anything else that I should be keeping track of? I really don’t want to have to keep a scan of the many duplicates/runs of notes, though I guess a few digital photos of them together could be blown up enough to see the serial numbers, condition, etc. A nice fire-proof gun safe would hold them nicely, and put an end to my need of a list, but I can't figure a way to get it downstairs without killing myself, which I would rather avoid if at all possible.

I have a list of all my banknotes that has a description, pick number, and serial number. I also have all of them photographed as well.

Most of the banknotes I have are not worth much at all. But I do keep track of them because I want to know what I have..... :lol:

KFC :ninja:

Why email to different accounts when you can possibly burn them to cds? :ninja:

Seems like a fair amount of hassle that you are doing there :lol:

Oh I could burn them to CD's, and have in the past, but I have thought that if I email them to myself to my Gmail account (a web-mail system where the email resides on a server offsite), then if there is a fire, I won't have lost the backup CD as well. It's a method that one of my past employers required after they lost important documents and redundant copies after either a fire or a burglary, I can't remember which.

As far as hassle, I don't know. Perhaps for some it would be, but I don' thave a problem saving a document and then emailing it to myself. But then again I may be a little anal about it without realizing it. :cry:

Most of the banknotes I have are not worth much at all. But I do keep track of them because I want to know what I have..... :lol:

Yeah, mine aren't worth a lot either, but it has taken me a while to get them, and if it were all lost suddenly I am not sure I'd replace it or not. I just wonder if I am worrying too much - or perhaps not enough.

But like you, I like to know what I've got, too.

I will include additional details of the banknotes such as purchase price, year purchased. purchase from who, year sold, sold to who, sold price etc. A better way as describe by others is to burn a few CDs and store in various places. Your mother-in-law house, your brother house, your sister house, your house, Companies usually practise off-site storage in another location in case important data is corrupted in your main storage. :ninja:

One more thing that I usually do as well is keep receipts and packing slips. All the notes I own have come from Ebay, and I have kept the packing slips. that way, I have the info I need if my collection gets stolen.

Archived