CoinPeople.com

2 Celtic Gaul and 2 Roman Prototypes

bill

I'm specializing one sub-collection in the Celtic coins of Pixtilos from the Carnutes region and their Roman Republic prototypes. I recently added 2 Republican denarius (I don't know the plural, denari?) pictured below with their Celtic counterparts.

First, Class I, Pixtilos, Griffon attacking, 40 - 30 B.C. (La Tour 7064)

911964.jpg

Its not the best example, but its a rare coin. I bid high, but not high enough on the last nicer piece I saw at auction. I hoped to upgrade, but I'm going to have to spend more than I ariginally thought to do so when the next opportunity comes along. The obverse bust is believed to be modelled after the head of Venus on a denarius struck by Julius Caesar during his African campaign in 47 - 46 B.C. (Crawford 458/1). I had my choice of two nice pieces. I took one with a banker's mark, it saved me a few hundred and I liked the evidence of use since it didn't detract from the portrait (my primary interest).

911962.jpg

The second Pixtilos piece is one I posted a few months ago. Class V with seated goddess on the reverse, 40 - 30 B.C. (La Tour 7058)

909323.jpg

Its a much niver example than the previous piece. Its prototype is rarer than the Caesar denarius, but I found a nice example from an old Swedish collection at the San Francisco Historical Bourse. The denarius of Sabinus features King Tatius. It was minted in 70 B.C. in Rome (Crawford 404/1). It has a planchet fault about 11 o'clock. It doesn't disrupt the portrait and it knocked a $1,000 off the price. It was a nice find. I saw two others at the show, both well centered on good planchets for $1,300 to $1,500. I'm happy with mine.

911963.jpg

Very nice finds. I'd agree with you that the "banker's mark" adds to the coin rather than detracts, especially with the placement of this particular mark.

All very nice coins. There's a certain `kick' we all get when we come across a scarce coin that we've been on the lookout for, so I can imagine how you feel.

I must say though that as far as `eye candy' is concerned, I like the one struck by Julius Caesar the best. Mainly because i'm more into silver coinage than anything else though, and because I have less of an understanding of the history behind the opthers.

Ian

Archived