CoinPeople.com

Notgeld: Love or hate ?

jb1967

I got my first Notgeld 35 years ago and at the time they were not expensive at all because few people were interested in them (this may have been true for paper money in general but in a less important proportion).

Some people were not interested in notgeld because they are (in many cases) "postage stamp size money" compared to most other notes. There are so many different types that it becomes hard to know which are scarce or not. The printing is also considered, for many of them very crude, if not bad.

I think Notgeld are, mostly, fantastic and they cover enough topics and styles to satisfy most people. They have interesting historical value and the variety of printing techniques makes them interesting even on this single aspect. For someone who wants to do something with banknotes, they offer a lot in research and understanding of the context in which they were printed. Most other modern notes are very simplistic on that matter. You get the name of the person or animal depicted on the note, You descover the security features, all that in a few minutes. With Notgeld, you have to convert the old characters, translate the text and search for a town that diapeared during the last war... A lot of time to be busy during long winter days if you don't live in a warm country.

I am mainly talking about German Notgeld, since others are less common. Austria notgeld are generaly (IMHO) less attractive aesthetically speaking and French ones are more expansive and rarely seen in UNC state. I have around 25 French notgeld and they are nice.

Currently, I have around 300 different notgeld notes and they have a special place in my collection of 2000 different worldwide notes.

What do you think of Notgeld ?

Jacques

notg.jpg

I like the notgeld notes. I do not know very much about them but have a small collection. Most were purchased right here at CP. Some of my notes are displayed in the Banknote Virtual Museum in German Notgeld and Austrian Notgeld sections. I periodically post a note or two and ask for help from some of the CP on translations and such. It's a nice forum interaction and folks get to share their knowledge and help me out as well.

I don't consider myself a real notgeld collector. I do have copies of the list of countries that issued notgeld but I never bothered with the lists of cities and such that have issued them.

I personally love Notegeld, and If i had to specailize in one country other than america I would choose Germany , they produced so many types , I am up for trades of anything for notegeld

I like the one notgeld that I saw on eBay once with a defecating donkey symbolising the allies dumping on Germany after WWI.  I wish I had bought it.

I've seen that one, but I didn't get it. I do, however, have a strange one of what looks like an Eskimo defecating the 1 in this One Mark note. It really makes me wonder why they'd want to put that on a note.

10xeruf.jpg

In this series there is also one of a rooster laying an egg, with a line stating as best I can translate it that "what must be done must be done" (Wat mutt Dat Mutt). These particular notes are pretty cool; the other side gives the cost of history items over a couple years, showing how the inflation had gone out of hand.

• 1 month later...

I like Noptgeld. The history and denominations are quite interesting and some of it even is pleasant to behold.

I have some but I am not a big fan (though I love paper currency collecting). Mostly in lot purchases here in Europe.

I guess I should sell it all here LOL

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Veni, Vidi, Bibi

A lot of my notgeld came in as freebies, but I also keep an eye out for pieces I find particularly attractive (one with a decent depiction of the Danube with a whale inset comes to mind) or interesting/amusing.

Archived