CoinPeople.com

more help required

Ian

Any positive ID of this coin would be appreciated. It's copper, roughly half crown sized and i'm led to believe it is of Urtuk Arslan of Mardin (1200 - 1239 AD).

Mediaeval Islamic coins are not exactly my hottest area of expertise so i'm lost on this. I had thopught that a portrait on an islamic coin was a no-no though (?) So i'm even more lost.....

911865.jpg

If you let me take a copy of your photo I can post it some where else, to try to get you some info.  Let me know

Brilliant. Copy to your hearts content as far as i'm concerned.

Ian

My thanks go to scoutjim99 for his excellent tracking skills!!

He has managed to successfully attribute this coin to being a copper dirham of Nasir al-Din Artuk Arslan atabeg of Mardin (1200-39 AD), minted at Mardin in 620AH (that is, 1223 AD)

The obverse is the bust of the Roman Emperor Claudius.

The reverse of the coin cites Ayyubid al-Kamil (1218-38) and caliph al-Nasir (1180-1225).

Apparently it is referenced in Stephen Album's "Checklist of Islamic" as A#1830.7, with a rarity rating of "scarce" (not really rare, but not common either).

scoutjim99 managed to find the coin on Jim Robert's site (tenth coin down on the page)

http://users.javanet.com/j/-/j-roberts/art.htm

scoutjim99, my hat is off to you. :lol: Take a bow. :ninja:

Ian

Thank you but all i did use other resources and by this a great attributer name SAP from coin Community Forum. http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/default.asp Many of our members here and Omnicoin.com and Banknotebank are members over there as well. I am continully trying to get people to crossover from both sides to each forum because of the great forum people and resources

• 15 years later...