CoinPeople.com

June 10: Dag van de Munt 2006

On saturday June 10 the annual "Dag van de Munt" (Day of the Mint) takes place.

Next to the regular products of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt, the following products are exclusively available on this Day of the Mint: Coin roll packets 2006, Theme set 2006 and Day of the Mint mint set 2006. Above mentioned products are only available on the Day of the Mint. Pre ordering and reservations are not possible.

KNM web site

nice!

the san francisco mint is almost never open to the public. last time it was there was a teeny tiny announcement in the newspaper that you could have easily overlooked ... which is, unfortunately, what i had done (i found the announcement after the fact).

the old san francisco mint used to be open to the public and the powers-that-be are preparing to open it to the public again ... but this hasn't been a working mint in a very, very long time ...

nice!

the san francisco mint is almost never open to the public.  last time it was there was a teeny tiny announcement in the newspaper that you could have easily overlooked ... which is, unfortunately, what i had done (i found the announcement after the fact).

the old san francisco mint used to be open to the public and the powers-that-be are preparing to open it to the public again ... but this hasn't been a working mint in a very, very long time ...

Back in the 1970's the Old San Francisco mint had an enviable exhibit of coins, and also the famous million dollar gold exhibit. It was well worth seeing and I did several times. But I last visited sometime in the early 1990's and all that was gone.

My visit to the Dutch mint in Utrecht was probably one of my most enjoyable mint visits ever, I must have been the only one there that day, or at least I was treated that way :ninja:

My visit to the Dutch mint in Utrecht was probably one of my most enjoyable mint visits ever, I must have been the only one there that day, or at least I was treated that way :ninja:

That is a feeling you will certainly not have on the Dag van de Munt. :lol: Be prepared for long lines on that day, and come early if you want any of the special DvdM goodies that Trantor_3 mentioned. But it sure is worth a visit anyway - you can not only see the production of coins but also buy coins from various dealers, have experts look at pieces you have, and you can mint a penning (medal) there.

The mint is currently being rebuilt; as from next year it will also be the home of the new Money Museum. Another problem, at least for visitors from Germany, is that the Dag van de Munt is right after the opening day of the World Cup. On such occasions it is not a good idea to be a German in the Netherlands.

OK, that was a little exaggerated. :cry: But the FWC may cause some delays for visitors from DE since during those days there will be border checks, which we usually don't have at the internal borders. Hope I can make it to the Dag van de Munt this year too, but I don't know yet ...

Christian

I'll probably be attending this year, have no other obligations.

I'll probably be there not too earlyI'm not really interested in the special Dag van de Munt goodies, more in all the other activities.

As for being safe here in NL as a German: all "der Mannschaft" has to do is loose their games, especially against Oranje :ninja:

I'll probably be there not too earlyI'm not really interested in the special Dag van de Munt goodies, more in all the other activities.

(...)

all "der Mannschaft" has to do is loose their games, especially against Oranje :lol:

Dum dee dum ... http://www.wkradio.nl/nieuws.php?article_id=14 :ninja:

Will try and make it to the Dag van de Munt, and maybe we can meet there? But as I wrote, I don't know for sure yet whether I will be in Utrecht ...

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, got some goodies there.

I got there at 12:30 and "only" had to wait 45 minutes to get inside :ninja:

This was my first time ever at the Day of the Mint, so I wasn't completely sure what to expect. Due to the construction work we didn't get to see much of the mint itself, nor the minting process, unfortunately. Next year that will be a lot better.

There werer quite some dealers with nice stuff, I picked up a few South African crowns, some old Dutch stuff and a few euro coins. Made my best buy at supplies, where one company gave 50% discount on stuff I was planning to order anyway.

I even minted a token, however, I must admit it's the weakest struck coin/token I've ever seen. Pics will follow later.

All in all, it was a fun day, and I'm definitely going again next year.

I got there at 12:30 and "only" had to wait 45 minutes to get inside :lol:

That is not actually bad. One time I was there, the line was all along the canal, and finally making it around the corner, into Leidseweg, was considered a major achievement. :cry: Then again, that was earlier in the morning.

Made my best buy at supplies, where one company gave 50% discount on stuff I was planning to order anyway.

Sounds like a great deal indeed. And, I already saw some of your new coin acquisitions in your What-did-I-get-today topic. Neat stuff!

Next year I will definitely try and come to Utrecht. By that time the Money Museum in the building should be ready, so that would be an extra incentive ... But sometimes the job interferes with coin show and "DvdM" dates. :ninja:

Christian

Archived