CoinPeople.com

Round 1 - Twentieth - Group 16

Which do you prefer?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Fifty Kopeks, Russia, 1925
    • Soviet Union: 1 Poltinnik 1925
    • Mexico - Peso - 1943

Surely a strange competition here. I went with the first worker. The coin appears bolder and more "used" to me.

Well the first two look like the same coin yet the descriptions are different... Is it 50 Kopeks or 1 Poltinnik?

Too much confusion so Mexico got my vote.

Well the first two look like the same coin yet the descriptions are different... Is it 50 Kopeks or 1 Poltinnik?

Too much confusion so Mexico got my vote.

Who knows? I was as shocked as you when i put them up (based on description alone) then when i first saw the pictures it was a bit unexpected.

Anyhow i like the lustre on the Mexican, good enough for me.

Who knows? I was as shocked as you when i put them up (based on description alone) then when i first saw the pictures it was a bit unexpected.

I'll defer to gxseries if he has information to the contrary, but from what I found on Wikipedia, as I'm no expert in this field:

]In the 19 and 20th centuries, the coins of kopeck denominations had individual names:

2 kop.= dvushka

3 kop.= altyn (mostly obsolete by the 1960s)

5 kop.= pyatak

10 kop.= grivennik

15 kop. = pyatialtynny (5 altyn; the usage lived longer than "altyn")

20 kop. = dvugrivenny (2 grivenniks)

50 kop. = poltina or poltinnik.

You see, the word "pol" is a Russian equalivent of the English "half". The word for half is polovina but because of the tendency of shortening the words into a single word, it becomes a poltina or a poltinnik. Some bizarre way of naming other odd denominations like a 25 kopek would become a polupoltinik (half of half ruble, i.e. quarter although it should be a chervort) and 1.5 ruble should be poltaya ruble (if my Russian is right)

Example can be found here http://www.masterrussian.com/aa052701a.shtml

If that still doesn't make sense, I believe akdrv or Ykra Dvi will be able to explain. :ninja:

I mean, don't you have something similar in the US, where you can call a half dollar as 50 cents, or halves? :lol:

You see, the word "pol" is a Russian equalivent of the English "half". The word for half is polovina but because of the tendency of shortening the words into a single word, it becomes a poltina or a poltinnik. Some bizarre way of naming other odd denominations like a 25 kopek would become a polupoltinik (half of half ruble, i.e. quarter although it should be a chervort) and 1.5 ruble should be poltaya ruble (if my Russian is right) 

I'll change the description on Omnicoin - thanks!

Archived