CoinPeople.com

Philippine Pesos Do Cheap Impression of W100 Coins

Tiffibunny

Seems like some enterprising soul found a way to make a quick buck. I've wondered about the SACs and SBAs. I think there are a number of coins from different countries that are very close in size and weight.

Someone told me that the USPO machines that dispense the dollar coins as change will not accept them as payment for just that reason. Anyone know if that is true?

This problem also arose back in the pre-Euro days, when there was a Polish coin (I think it was a 10 zlotych, but I cannot remember for sure what it was) that was almost exact size/weight as a German 1DM. The reeding was ground off the Polish coin, and it worked perfectly in German vending machines. To this day, there are many eBay sellers who attempt to sell these Polish pieces as an official "variety", although there is no documentation to support that these were issued as anything but reeded, and the "plain edge variety" is nothing but an altered, damaged coin.

The reeding was ground off the Polish coin, and it worked perfectly in German vending machines. 

Sounds like a lot of work. :ninja: Don't know either what denomination that was (5 or 10, I think) - and there were other pieces such as the Portuguese 2.50 escudos or Swedish 5 (?) kronor that were accepted by vending machines in Germany. Same size as, but worth less than, what they "pretended" to be.

Nowadays we have a similar problem with the 10 baht coins from Thailand (worth about 20 ct) and the 1 lira coins from Turkey (worth about 50 ct) which are both €2 lookalikes. However, machines with coin slots, and their coin testing software, have become much better - and most refuse such pieces. But humans in a hurry ...

Christian

Briefly after the Sacagawea Dollar was issued in the United States it was possible to use the Canadian Looney Dollar in some of the postal machines in the USA. Some of the machines were apparently not calibrated correctly.

I have used Sacagawea dollars in my local postal facility, maybe it is at the discretion of the local postmaster?

In a sense, it serves one country's citizen right. It wasn't a joke when a massive influx of 500won was subtituted for 500yen coins (and remember 500yen is like a massive 4+ dollar and a 500won is just a mere 40 oddcents) although Japan was at a fault for not bothering to deal with that problem ever since the late 80s.

I noticed it as a kid back in the early 90s and it took TEN+ years until the problem became a national issue, so much that, people started to import 500won coins in bulk.

And since Korea is removing the 5won coinage and replacing the 10won this year, why not replace their whole coinage by the next year? It's long overdue anyway for South Korea.

Archived