CoinPeople.com

Transportating your coins

UncleBobo

I will be moving to Texas after Memorial Day and I was presented with the problem with transportating my coin collection.

I had three options to get my collection from New Jersey to Texas:

1) Ship it down via insured delivery.

I did this with my clothes and my music collection but I didn't feel comfortable doing this with my coin collection.

2) Drive it down to Texas.

When I do move I will be driving my Chery Prism by myself for over three days.

That was my original plan for getting the coins down there, but I didn't feel comfortable dragging the coins from the car into hotel rooms.

3) Fly the coins to Texas.

I had to go to Texas this past weekend to take care of some pre move business so I bought the coins with me.

I shrinkwrapped, bubble wrapped, secured them tightly in priority us mail boxes and put them into my luggage. They were in my checked in luggage and that worried me a bit.

The only problem I had was that Homeland Security went though my bag and cut open one of my boxes to take a look inside. The did no damage to any of the coins, nothing was missing and they were nice enough to retape the box when they put it back into the suitcase. They also left a cute calling card in my bag informing me that they had searched it.

I have no complaints about what they did, it has to be done.

How have other people moved their collections from one place to the other? What did you do?

When I moved to Florida from Connecticut, I boxed up all my less expensive coins, the ones easily replaceable(proof & mint sets, etc.) and wrote history books on the box taped it up and sent it with the movers.

The good stuff like my CC Morgan collection I hid deep in the moving truck that I drove down. And brought them in the hotel with me at night.

Dan

Never, ever, ever put coins in check in luggage. Huge mistake, you are lucky you got them at your destination. Invest in a large collapsable carry on that will fit in an overhead bin on a plane and take your loved ones that way. Never entrust them to "Homeland Security".

I checked in part of my coin collection when I moved from one coast to another when I was about 11 yrs old. In all the angst of arriving in Boston at 4AM instead of 10PM my bag got left behind. And I didn't think about it being missing until United Airlines found us a month later and returned it. Incredibly nothing was missing, including the $50 bill lying right inside the bag.

If I fly with my coins... I put as many of them as I can in my carry on and no where else... If they ask to see in my bag I ask for a private search... they take you in a little room or behind a curtan and will simply take a look in your bag. This way people do not see what my bag contains. I can fit all the coins that are currently in the inventory of my shop into my briefcase.... just take some good packing and double row boxes. I NEVER leave my coins in someone elses care. and when I am at shows... if they are not safe at the venue...they are with me.... if I am driving I make sure I can take them where ever I go..... even the bathroom... you can never bee too careful... and after all the robberies at the FUN show this year.... you can understand why

Your best bet is for scheduled delivery with an armored carrier if your collection warrants as such. If it is less than $50 in value, then I would use the next best thing: U.S.P.S. Registered Mail.

Break your collection apart into properly sized registered parcels. When you move, drop the parcels off at the post office. Next week, your collection is safe and secure back at home. You also have the added authority of the U.S. Postal Inspector's office as well as a pretty open and closed insurance case if anything comes in damaged or missing.

If you must "have them with you", then use a steel briefcase, handcuffs, and a side arm. You can pretty much get your concealed weapons permits taken care of in advance through each State's Attorney General's office. If they are not cooperative, then you will have to get your permits through each county you plan to pass through.

If the collection is under $5k, then just have a steel bat under your passenger seat :lol: Until you actually enter Texas, you'll be pretty safe with the bat :ninja:

When I moved from Seattle to Indiana, I had a 14-foot box truck, with a trailer carrying my pickup. I emptied out the safe deposit boxed and packed all the coins in heavy wooden boxes, and they were the first things packed into the truck. All of my other possessions which took a group of 6 of us 5 hours to pack was between the door of the truck and my coins. The door then had a heavy duty hardened steel padlock. I figured that was a lot for a potential thief to get through, especially since I was the only one that knew the coins were there. Besides, I figured if someone actually broke into the truck they would take the TV, vcr and other easy stuff to fence first before digging through my clothes and furniture. They all got here safe, after stops in Spokane, Billings and somewhere east of Mitchell, SD. The best protection when transporting valuables is to make sure no one ever knows they are there.

I did what jtryka did when we moved 110 miles northwest. Packed my coins very safely into the back of the truck. If anyone wanted the coins they would have to go through TV's, computers, furniture, clothing, etc to get there. Back then my entire collection was worth less than the computer LCD screen. :ninja:

Coming from Colorado back to California, I buried a lot of stuff way at the front of the u-haul. Everything I was unwilling to leave outside a motel room or in the parking lot while I was stopped places was carefully packaged and then put inside a pack I could easily carry with me. Whether it was on me or on the floor board, the pack was guarded at all times by my dogs, which included a large, loud male pit bull. While I wouldn't recommend them to just anyone for general use, I have to say Pits are pretty great when it comes to feeling more secure about carrying your coins around :ninja: .

Simple

Pack your coins into a box that you know nobody will want to look in

That's what i did when i moved to the philippines and had to store my coin collection here in the US

All I did was when i was working a pizza hut got some old boxes that had hand tossed pizza dough written on them or pizza hut cheese

Some people did break into the storage shed but the funny thing is that they left those boxes alone and took my vcr and tv the boxes were in plain sight

But they left them alone and When i got Back in 2000 My Coins were still in those boxes

I also hid the coins under a lot of X-rated tapes in those boxes just in case

Thank you Julius, umm, I mean JoanJet! :ninja:

Oh yeah, I love the various answers my question has gotten but I gotta say my favorite has been Corina's. :lol:

Is "transportating" a word?  Why not transporting?

Oh my, I didn't realize I had typed until you pointed it out.

That's just embarrassing....

I typed that word not once, but twice!!!! What the hell's wrong with me?!?! :ninja:

I used to wrap my coins well and then store them in the trunk of one of my cars before they were loaded onto the moving van. Never had a problem.

I'm not positive but I do believe Transportating is banned in 27 states :lol:

:ninja: Only for immoral purposes. :cry:;)

Archived