CoinPeople.com

GIES: 1915 Birth Medal Pattern

L.GIES, WWI Birth Medal Pattern, 1915, Cast Bronze, 26.5mm X 34.9mm, UNIQUE (without edge-punch). Ernsting WVZ 79, Frankenhuis 1104

Obverse: A newborn babe on cushions. Below, cannon. In border, "Geb. i. J. d. Weltkriegs" (Born in the year of the world war).

Reverse: A blank tablet for name of recipient; sword across and behind saltire ; above, a star with laurels. L.G. below.

There are two bronze, edge-punched “C.Poellath Schrobenh.” examples in Brussels and Vienna museums. There are an additional five silver-plated (versilbert), bronze, edge-punched examples located in London, Paris, and Stuttgart museums with the remaining two examples in private collections. This is the only example known without the edge-punch.

WVZ79.jpg

Looks like you could make a collection out of Birth in the Year of the WW medals. Very nice medal. I like the shape and the high relief.

Looks like you could make a collection out of Birth in the Year of the WW medals. Very nice medal. I like the shape and the high relief.

Actually I have, Art... This small series consists of five designs that he made in 1915. I have four of them. The remaining piece I need is limited to one example which is available to private collectors. With Gies' limited availability I may never see one, let alone have the opportunity to acquire it.

Gies worked right up through the 60's but my interests in his work lie with creations from 1940 and earlier, with primary focus during WWI and the Weimer Republic.

Gies worked right up through the 60's but my interests in his work lie with creations from 1940 and earlier, with primary focus during WWI and the Weimer Republic.

... while most Germans know Ludwig Gies from the eagle that he designed for the Federal Parliament (Bundestag) - the so-called "Fat Hen" that Gies created in 1953 for the Plenary Hall in Bonn. That eagle was also used (only slightly modified) for the new plenary hall in Berlin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...esadler1992.jpg (Bonn)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...esadler2004.JPG (Berlin)

So in a way, Gies is still very present in today's Germany. (Links to images only since the Bundestag is kind of off-topic here. :ninja: )

Christian

Archived