CoinPeople.com

RARE COIN

JURBANC

That emission was not necessarily illegal ...

All those Bank deutscher Länder coins were issued after the 1948 currency reform in the "tri-zone" (British-French-US occupation zones) which in May 1949 became the Federal Republic of Germany. The 1 Pf coins have dates of either 1948 or 1949; the 5, 10 and 50 Pf are dated 1949.

But the Karlsruhe mint (G) erroneously produced a small amount (about 30,000) of those pieces dated 1950. Those could have been melted again - or declared to be legal issues. Well, the government picked the second option and, in September 1950, made them legal so that these coins could be issued. Since the amount made was about one thousandth of the BDL 1949 G quantity (and even less compared to the BRD 1950 G amount), those coins were soon highly sought after.

However, there are many manipulations around, so I would never buy that coin from a questionable source. Another problem, and that may be the one you referred to, is that the BDL 1950 G coin was part of the 1975 Karlsruhe mint scandal. Back then, several mint employees (even the director) were involved in the illegal production of "rare" or legally non-existing coins. They made about 1700 pieces with a collector value of about 500,000 marks.

Christian

If you have one of those, congratulations! And especially if it's in that condition. I am not really good at grading, but it could be AU. According to the price guide in a German magazine, that coin is worth about €500 in VF and about €1200 in BU. But due to the relatively low number of pieces available, prices will vary of course. And if demand is high ...

Christian

Is it just the 1950 that is rare, or is it a 1950 O or something, I can't quite tell from the pictures. I have a few coins that look similar to this one, but it's probably the common variety of this example.

Archived