CoinPeople.com

New Mexican Bimetallics

cowhodan

Hi everybody,

Mexico will issue 4 new $100 bimetallic coins, with a silver center and an aluminum-bronze ring. The themes will be the following:

1.- 400th ann. of Don Quijote

2.- 80th ann. of foundation of Banco de Mexico

3.- 470th ann. of Casa de Moneda de Mexico

4.- 100th ann. of 1905 Monetary Reform

The first one will be issued until december 2006 (design is below):

100pesosquijote2fm.jpg

I don't know the issue date of the others, but the designs look promising:

2.- Independence Angel

PICTURE

3.- minting press

PICTURE

4.- design of C&R pesos

PICTURE

There will be also other commemoratives of silver:

6th Iberoamerican Series - Historic Buildings

Bicentenary of Benito Juarez

Mexico's participation in soccer world cup (2 coins)

And the previous listed 4 themes will also have the silver version.

Daniel

Now, those look interesting !!! Thanks for the "heads up" ... I may grab some of those :ninja:

Wow...death depicted on a coin...lol. None the less, I would like to get some! ;)

I also think it's uncommon, technically the theme is "Calavera Quijotesca" I dont really know how to translate that, I think its skull-like Quijote.

Unfortunately we will have to wait until dec 06' to get it :ninja: I hope the others are released sooner, I think the one with the angel will be very nice.

omg wow. Firstly a death skull depicted on a coin and you have a silver centre coin being circulated? That's pretty rare nowadays... :ninja:

These $100 coins are intended for circulation but I have never seen anyone paying or purchasing something with them, I think people like them because they are too big so they keep them. The previous series of pesos: $10, $20 and $50 had a silver center, but nobody knew it, so you could find some nice silver coins in your daily change ;)

There's even a proposal in the congress of introducing the onza (the equivalent of the american silver eagle) into circulation, not a silver peso, the onza without a denomination and considering its value with an official equivalence in pesos, because when the silver value surpasses the nominal value then the people preffers to melt them. It's an interesting theme, if someone knows spanish can read more here: http://www.plata.com.mx/plata/plata/3.htm

I know a little bit of spanish...So I'll take a crack at the objectives!

The first objective says something about monetary independence from the dollar. The second one says we prepare for the immenent econonomic fiasco of the E.U. And the third one says to put a solid and individual currency in the hands of the public.

Complements of Spanish from 4th grade all the way through 10th grade :ninja:

The second one says we prepare for the immenent econonomic fiasco of the E.U.

Just a clarification: "E.U." is the Mexican/Spanish abbreviation of "Estados Unidos". And although Mexico uses "Estados Unidos" as part of its country name too, I assume that in this case "E.U." are the United States of America ...

Here http://www.plata.com.mx/plata/plata/comHSP48a.htm is a similar text in English. And if you search the web for "Hugo Salinas Price", you will come across many more references :-)

Christian

I also think it's uncommon, technically the theme is "Calavera Quijotesca" I dont really know how to translate that, I think its skull-like Quijote.

Unfortunately we will have to wait until dec 06' to get it  :ninja: I hope the others are released sooner, I think the one with the angel will be very nice.

That Don Quijote coin has a very interesting design indeed. Would be interesting to know how much it will cost. (Errm, did I get that right - is that supposed to be a "6" at the end of the year?)

Christian

Just a clarification: "E.U." is the Mexican/Spanish abbreviation of "Estados Unidos". And although Mexico uses "Estados Unidos" as part of its country name too, I assume that in this case "E.U." are the United States of America ...

Here http://www.plata.com.mx/plata/plata/comHSP48a.htm is a similar text in English. And if you search the web for "Hugo Salinas Price", you will come across many more references :-)

Christian

No, Mexico uses EE UU for the US. Trust me, I took spanish for 8 years.

That Don Quijote coin has a very interesting design indeed. Would be interesting to know how much it will cost. (Errm, did I get that right - is that supposed to be a "6" at the end of the year?)

Christian

If you can find it at the banks you can get it at face value (around $9) if not then you have to buy it at a higher value :ninja:

The date in the coin seems to be 2005 however, according to what I read, it will not be issued until december 2006, maybe there's a mistake either in the date or the release date.

Never mind...

When I read that it said: "New Mexican Bimetallics... " Having lived in Las Cruces and then Albuquerque, I thought that it meant New Mexico.

(Ahem... going back to sleep.) :ninja:

The date in the coin seems to be 2005 however, according to what I read, it will not be issued until december 2006, maybe there's a mistake either in the date or the release date.

Let's hope the release date is in 2005 :-) Would be nice to get that one since I will also buy some of the Spanish Don Quijote pieces.

Christian

Forgive my ignorance, but where and how would I be able to buy these coins?

If you are lucky enough to find some at the bank then you can obtain them at face value, its similar to the 10 euro coins from Germany for example, if not you can buy them from dealers, right now there are many offers of the current commemoratives of the mexican states at ebay, here the prices are around $14-15 for the most recent coins, but the first one is already selling for $30

If you are lucky enough to find some at the bank then you can obtain them at face value, its similar to the 10 euro coins from Germany for example, if not you can buy them from dealers, right now there are many offers of the current commemoratives of the mexican states at ebay,  here the prices are around $14-15 for the most recent coins, but the first one is already selling for $30

Seeing as how I'm in Florida and I've had some bad experiences with eBay, I'll have to try my luck with a local dealer.

Thanks

omg wow. Firstly a death skull depicted on a coin and you have a silver centre coin being circulated? That's pretty rare nowadays... :ninja:

And collectable! I really want one of those coins. I may have to start saving now to afford one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems that the info about the release date was inaccurate, the coin was already exhibited and in the next days maybe it will be available, and I say maybe because its really hard to obtain them at the bank.

Here is the image of the circulating coin:

100quijote4zf.th.png

UNC coin: 700,000 pieces

Matte coin: 6,000 pieces (in special presentation)

And below the 2 oz. silver coin:

20quijote0hc.th.png

PROOF 10,000 pieces (in wooden box)

I think both are really nice.

I'll try to obtain them in the next days in case someone is interested in purchasing any.

Daniel

http://www.geocities.com/mexicanbanknotes