CoinPeople.com

Do you specialize on your banknotes collection ?

see323

Nice notes, especially the 1938 note, I like the dual numeral types for the serial number, and wonder how this note got saved after a long circulation.

I have a couple of Thai notes on my banknotebank page now, I have had them for who knows how long, I was surprised that they actually dated from the 1950's and not the 1970's as I suspected. I think I got them from my father from when he was in Thailand during the early 1970's.

I have been looking at the recent commemorative notes from Thailand, there are some very significant and attractive notes with sometimes interesting denominations like 60 Baht that surely must find a way to my collection.

I used to have the 60 Baht commemorative note many years ago. I paid SGD10 ( US$6.60) for it at that time. I did not know that it was consider expensive until in 2004, I started looking at what the world was selling. It was extremely cheap. They selling in bulk of 100 pieces and very cheap. When I saw that, I sell mine away. The price never went up but actually they produce a lot of them. But it is still a unique and good piece for collection as it is a big square note. Very nice looking. Don't pay too high for the note. It should be cheap. There are a few other commemorative ones from Thailand after this 60 Baht piece. There is one where they print an early note with a nice serial number ( cannot remember what is the serial number - I think it is a 00001 ). Actually the actual serial number is on the other side. Some people are being cheated over the good serial number side and thus paid a lot of money for it.

Only commemorative notes which bear a solid 555555 or 888888 will go into my collection. There was one case when a Singapore Polymer $10 Portrait Series serial number MAS 555555, at that time, As I was short of cash, I just have to let it go. It was bought by a rich Indonesian buyer. That's what I was told. Anyway, these notes usually return back to the market again to be sold again.

It is my policy not to collect specimen notes unless it bears the printer's chop eg. Thomas Del La Rue oval shape chop.

I was very happy to acquire the Thailand 1938 1 Baht Rama 8 note because this will be my oldest world solid 55555 in my entire collection. Surprisingly, it was cheap as nobody wanted it due to it terrible condition. It is very difficult to find any solid number banknotes in the early days. Most people just spend them away. My most expensive purchase to date is the 1953 QEII Malaya and British Borneo $1 555555 in uncirculated condition. It is the only piece of solid ( any number from 111111 to 999999 ) in uncirculated condition. Nobody have been seen or spotted any in world auctions or in private collections.

:ninja:

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was very happy to acquire the Thailand 1938 1 Baht Rama 8 note because this will be my oldest world solid 55555 in my entire collection. Surprisingly, it was cheap as nobody wanted it due to it terrible condition. It is very difficult to find any solid number banknotes in the early days. Most people just spend them away. My most expensive purchase to date is the 1953 QEII Malaya and British Borneo $1 555555 in uncirculated condition. It is the only piece of solid ( any number from 111111 to 999999 ) in uncirculated condition. Nobody have been seen or spotted any in world auctions or in private collections.

;)

Congrats 'see323.. ;) i manage to get the 60 baht for S$6.00 and it was one of my best one in my collection...now i'm looking forward to get the other commerative note from thailand..it's all very beauty in design. :ninja:

I was reading in a magazine at the bookstore yesterday that one of the Thai commems had to be redesigned shortly after it was released when it was noticed that the King had "Dr. Spock" ears. Apparently someone thought he was part Klingon or they were just a Star Trek fan.

Several new areas for me, USA has definately been put on the back burner for now, of the UK all I need is Series A red & purple 10/-, Series B £5, Series D £50 & Series E £50.

My new areas of interest are:

Yugoslavia

Russia (Especially USSR/CCCP)

East Germany (Last Series, I already have 10, 50, 200 & 500 Marks just need to get the 5, 20 and 100 Marks)

Acquired these two 1949 series beauties today.

Philipppines uncirculated 10 Pesos with serial number 888888. Both are signed by different president of Philippines. Both notes are signed by Acting and Governor of the Central Bank of Philippines, Andres V. Castillo. The Presidents were Carlos P. Garcia ( 1957 - 1961 ) and Diosdado Macapagal ( 1961 - 1965 ).

Carlos P. Garcia (November 4, 1896 - June 1, 1971). He presided over the eight months of Magsaysay's remaining term and went on to win the 1957 elections, "the noisiest and the most expensive in Philippine history."

Ph_pres_garcia.jpg

Garcia hailed from Talibon, Bohol. He finished his law studies at the Philippine Law School in Manila. He passed the Bar examinations and was among the top ten.

His election as Bohol representative to the National Assemblly in 1952 marked his entry into Philippine politics and public service – one of the longest ever. He was again reelected as a representative. In 1931, he started the first of this three terms as governor of Bohol. In 1941, he was elected as a senator, but it was only in 1945 that he took office because of World War II. He was again reelected as a senator and in 1953, he became Vice President to Magsaysay. He was appointed in a concurrent capacity as secretary of foreign affairs.

Garcia's administration (1957 - 1961) was anchored in his austerity program. It was also noted for its Filipino First policy – an attempt to boost economic independence.

Diosdado Macapagal (September 28, 1910). He defeated Garcia in the presidential elections of November 14, 1961.

Ph_pres_macapagal.jpg

Mapacagal – who styled himself as the "poor boy" from Lubao (Pampanga) – completed pre-law and Associate in Arts at UP; however, he was a law graduate of the University of Santo Tomas. He was the topnotcher of the Bar examinations in 1935. He then entered into a private law practice, teaching law at the side. In 1946, he was appointed Chief of the Legal Division of the Department of Foreign Affairs and was eventually sent to the Philippine Embassy in Washington as Second Secretary.

In 1949, he was elected as the congressman of the first district of Pampanga and reelected in 1953. In 1958, he was elected as Vice President of the Philippines.

Macapagal's administration (1961 - 1965) is best remembered for resetting the date of the celebration of Philippine Independence Day – from July 4 when the U.S. turned over the reins of government in 1946 to the more correct date of June 12 when Aguinaldo declared independence in 1898. This single act overshadowed the other distinguishing features of his administration, namely: the promotion of the stability of the Philippine currency; the initiation of a socioeconomic program aimed at the betterment of the poor; efforts to combat misdeeds in government, and the launching of his version of agrarian reform.

• 2 weeks later...
see323 how much did they cost you if you dont mind me asking..

They are not cheap! Sorry. the prices are sensitive things to review here. They are also difficult to acquire especially these are old banknotes fancy serial numbers. Most people don't collect banknotes during the early years. The British who were once living in Malaya and Singapore may have kept them for their personal collections. The Malayan notes with fancy numbers were once with an early Singapore collector for many years. A few years ago, he passed away. Now his wife took them out to sell. In fact, there were other pieces which are very good which even command very high prices. All of them were sold and bought by other collectors. Such rare and hard-to-find banknotes are passed from collector to collector and generation to generation. That's the beauty of collecting banknotes as a hobby. The banknotes survived but their owner .... :ninja:

That's the beauty of collecting banknotes as a hobby. The banknotes survived but their owner .... :ninja:

Collecting is interesting in that respect. Imagine how many people held something in your collection, for all we know it could have great historical relavence. I collect notes, and ephemera items like checks and old scripts/deeds/ledgers and I love the fact that these things have survived all of thier owners, myself included.

Fun stuff. ;)

Survives on in the legacy of his hobby now shared with other collectors ;)

Just my own opinion. Sometimes I wonder whether we should call ourselves collectors or keepers or guardians. We keep the coins / notes for personal viewing. At the end of our life on earth, the collection were being placed in auction houses with our names nicely printed in auction catalogue book as "The Ultimate Collections of Late Mr....." It was an lifelong achievement on his collection but unfortunately he will never see the auction catalog printed with all his beautiful collection.

There are some who sold off their collections once they reaches the peak of their collection. In other words, there is nothing left to collect under this collection theme. They started to publish a nice coins / banknotes book and sell them. The second step was to sell the entire collection away and move on with the next collection theme.

Internet have give us an attractive way to display our collection to the world collector's communities. There are some who choose not to display their collection in the internet.

Any comments ? :ninja:

I am relativly new to this aspect of the hobby (Have collected Notgeld off & on for a few years now) but have decided to branch out from coins & medals to include British Millitary notes & Japanese Invasion money ;) as thankfully there are not 100s to collect LOL I must say tyhough that I am tempted by those Malay notes ;)

I am relativly new to this aspect of the hobby (Have collected Notgeld off & on for a few years now) but have decided to branch out from coins & medals to include British Millitary notes & Japanese Invasion money ;) as thankfully there are not 100s to collect LOL I must say tyhough that I am tempted by those Malay notes ;)

The Malayan banknotes KGVI (1940,1941,1942) and QEII (1953 ) were historical and beautiful. Do be careful when acquiring them for your collection. They are mostly pressed and washed. It's hard to find those original condition ones. As for JIM ( Japanese Invasion Money ), there are quite a number of countries to collect. They are relatively cheap as there are many around. There are also counterfeit ones around since they are easily created due to poor quality paper and no watermark. ;)

I am waiting for a book dealer to get back to me, to let me know if she has this book that should help me a bit with the JIM ;)

Japanese Invasion Money - Arlie R. Slabaugh - SC 40 Pages - Illustrations

Thanks also for the tip about the Malayan notes.

Great looking notes :ninja: , I think I am looking more & more towards the field of old historical monuments on the notes that I will collect ie Egyptian, Cambodian temples ;) this is of course alongside my British civilian & Millitary notes my German Notgeld & Japanese JIM LOL

;)

Great looking notes :ninja: , I think I am looking more & more towards the field of old historical monuments on the notes that I will collect ie Egyptian, Cambodian temples ;) this is of course alongside my British civilian & Millitary notes my German Notgeld & Japanese JIM LOL

;)

Good for you. You probably share the same theme of collecting as bifrost. ;)

Today, a newly added Iranian 1000 Rials banknote is added into the Iran 555555 collection. I believe 1000 Rials is the smallest denomination.

Below are the scans.

Iran%201000%20Rials%20555555%20-%20Front%20-%20800.jpg

Iran%201000%20Rials%20555555%20-%20Back%20-%20800.jpg

Oh, Arabic (I guess in this case, Farsi? Persian?) script is so gorgeous.

Two questions for you, See:

1) How many nations do you NOT have a supersolid or solid from?

2) Why can't this painful lab report go away? It's 4:38am and I've still got more to go!

Oh, Arabic (I guess in this case, Farsi? Persian?) script is so gorgeous.

Two questions for you, See:

1) How many nations do you NOT have a supersolid or solid from?

2) Why can't this painful lab report go away? It's 4:38am and I've still got more to go!

Very good questions especially you can still type without any spelling mistakes at 4.39am in the early morning. I hope I understand you correctly on your question no. 2 and reply accordingly.

Answers for

(1) Since I started in 2004, there are more than 40 countries I have them in super solids and solid 555555. There are some which in other number solids. It is tougher now as there is really no progress in adding new countries. So I will need friends like you to help me in building the world largest collection of solid 555555. At the moment, I do not even know how many solid numbers banknotes I have in my collection. I only know the number of countries. Being a Singaporean, I will have a lot of Singapore solids 555555 in my collection since I started that in 1986. I am lacking from countries such as those in Europe, South and Central America plus Africa. Asian Chinese collectors are the big collectors of solid number banknotes in the world. European collector rarely collect solids but only collect low serial numbers. This is one of the reason why it is tough to acquire solids from European countries. As solids are not popular in this region, solids number banknotes are never retained or kept by collectors which arises to unavailability. No demand, no supply.

(2) I am not sure what school laboratory report you are working on but definitely less painful than what my wife went through when she gave birth to my son eight years ago. I was there and felt the same pain as well.

(1) As solids are not popular in this region, solids number banknotes are never retained or kept by collectors which arises to unavailability. No demand, no supply.

(2) I am not sure what school laboratory report you are working on but definitely less painful than what my wife went through when she gave birth to my son eight years ago. I was there and felt the same pain as well.

;)

Hmm... I guess that would be a hurdle. I still find it fascinating that some of your banks hold special sales/auctions for the solids that pass through them. I wonder what it would take for that to happen here at banks in America.

As for my second question, I was just letting out a big fat whine. But I'll keep pregnancy in mind next time I feel like whining... good thing a wife and that are a few years down the road for me. Wait... that isn't avery long time! :ninja:

Archived