CoinPeople.com

Do you specialize on your banknotes collection ?

see323

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far, I never come across any member in this forum keeping solid numbers banknotes whether it is USA or the world. I hope I am wrong.

Trust me See, if any of us would actually get a solid number in change it would be kept. But actually purchasing a solid number note is another thing entirely for most of us here. It's hard to get enough money for normal serial numbered notes, let alone a special number sequence note. But if the right note came along at the right price, few of us banknote enthusiasts would be able to turn it down.

Trust me See, if any of us would actually get a solid number in change it would be kept. But actually purchasing a solid number note is another thing entirely for most of us here. It's hard to get enough money for normal serial numbered notes, let alone a special number sequence note. But if the right note came along at the right price, few of us banknote enthusiasts would be able to turn it down.

True. There are nice and cheap ones from India, Indonesia and Philippines available for collection if the value and rarity is not the issue for collection.

The only types of serial numbers I go for are split prefixes, and very low serials or very high on Scottish banknotes. So far the lowest is RB0000012. So far as is known I have the highest serial number of the last issue of British Linen £1 from 1970, which was issued a few months after the merger with Bank of Scotland.

903511A.jpg

In my opinion, here are some of the highly sought after area of collecting fancy numbers. They are challenging and difficult to find.

(1) First Prefixes whether by signatory change or new issued design plus fancy numbers such as solid number, low or the first serial numbers etc.

(2) Last Prefixes whether by signatory change or new issued design plus fancy numbers such as solid number, large or last serial numbers etc.

(3) Large or Largest Denominations with fancy numbers.

(4) Low mintage issued fancy numbers. This includes both commorative and circulation ones.

(5) Last denomination used by a given country. Obsolate denomination such as the smallest denomination etc.

(6) Replacement or star banknotes with fancy numbers.

(7) Short period of usage with fancy numbers. For example Emergency Issues etc.

(8) Super Solid with matching prefix numbering or matching alphabet letters based on order of individual letters.

(9) Interesting prefix lettering together with the serial number. An example I have is serial number ONE 000001. There are also others such such an Australian $2 with picture of a fat sheep and a serial number FAT 000001. I think this makes collecting banknotes an interesting experience.

(10) Double or triple prefix letters also have a collection following. Example : RR 555555, AAA 888888 etc.

There are also other areas how fancy numbers are creatively collected. It is up to your imagination and pursue.

Here is the picture of an Australia 1966 $2 with the serial number FAT 000001. It is highly interersting and does add humour and fun into banknote collecting. This was sold for AUD$ 1,250 last week in the Noble Auction in Australia.

8792.jpg

I guessed we now know why people put so much money purchasing these interesting unique notes as a collector's item. As what they said, it's a candy for one's eye. But in some cases, they are purely being pursued for rarity and low mintage quite similiar to coins. The differences between coins and banknotes is the serial number place on the note while coins cannot be serialized unless they are presented with accompanied serial numbers papers stating the mintage number.

Here is the picture of an Australia 1966 $2 with the serial number FAT 000001. It is highly interersting and does add humour and fun into banknote collecting. This was sold for AUD$ 1,250 last week in the Noble Auction in Australia.

8792.jpg

I guessed we now know why people put so much money purchasing these interesting unique notes as a collector's item. As what they said, it's a candy for one's eye. But in some cases, they are purely being pursued for rarity and low mintage quite similiar to coins. The differences between coins and banknotes is the serial number place on the note while coins cannot be serialized unless they are presented with accompanied serial numbers papers stating the mintage number.

Only $1250?? Hmm... I think thats a cool note and I'm surprised it didnt go for more.

Since it relates to this topic, I just come across Hong Kong collectors views on their collection. Here is an article plucked from the WWW. Enjoy.

print_header.gif

Paper chase

A HK$10 note can yield much more. In fact, banknotes are an affordable path to wealth accumulation for every Hong Kong person as the amount to be invested can be as low as HK$100, or even less.

Stephanie Tong

Monday, February 26, 2007

A HK$10 note can yield much more. In fact, banknotes are an affordable path to wealth accumulation for every Hong Kong person as the amount to be invested can be as low as HK$100, or even less.

Karim Alamdin, 35, a life member of the Hong Kong Numismatic Society, started investing in Hong Kong banknotes four years back.

"Unlike paintings and antiques, banknotes are a safe investment as the chance of getting fake money is very small," he says.

"The Hong Kong Monetary Authority, with the advancement in technology, is able to ensure dollar notes circulating in the market are real.

"In addition, even if the value of this investment drops, we can still use the note in our hands. After all, what we invest in is actual money circulating in the market."

Before investing in banknotes, one should know that the investment value of dollar notes largely depends on the combination of the serial number, which includes two parts: the alphabetic letters and the six numeric digits.

The alphabetic part usually consists of two letters, running from AA, AB, AC, AD and so on, to ZZ, representing the different editions of banknotes in the same year.

For each edition, the number of dollar notes printed will be one million.

Use HK$10 notes printed in 2005 as an example: its first edition notes will have serial numbers from AA000001 to AA1000000.

The second edition serial numbers will run from AB000001 to AB1000000.

Cheung Tak-shing, owner of Hong Kong Coin Co, suggested four popular serial number combinations.

"People at present like to collect dollar notes with lucky numbers," he says. "Serial numbers with `8' is the most popular one as its Cantonese pronunciation - baht - is similar to faht - the pronunciation of a Chinese word meaning 'going to get rich.' "

Cheung adds: "The second most popular type is serial numbers with consecutive number arrangements, such as AA123456, AA654321 and AA345678.

People like to have this arrangement as it is similar to `straight flush' - five cards in sequence and in the same suit - in card game Big Two (called `Choh Dai Di' in Cantonese).

"Another popular serial number grouping is collecting the first and the last dollar notes of an edition.

"For example, AA000001, AA1000000, AB000001 and AB1000000. However, investors should note that the quality of these two types is usually worse than the others, as they are the first and the last dollar note to be printed in one edition.

Chances to have defects in the appearance of dollar notes will be higher." Cheung says these three kinds of combinations - deemed to be the blue chips - are more coveted by most numismatic investors.

Yet, investors can also invent their own combination. For instance, some investors collect banknotes with serial number showing their birth dates.

In addition to the different kinds of serial number combination, values of banknotes are also determined by the year of printing (the older the better), the edition (the earlier the better, AA is better than AB) and the currency value (HK$50 and HK$1,000 notes are more valuable as the number of bills in circulation is less than that of HK$20 and HK$100 notes).

The last factor would be the appearance of the dollar note.

"Dollar notes should be straight, not creased, without stains, and the four corners of the note should be sharp," Alamdin says.

He adds this is very crucial as the investment value of a dollar note will be halved if there are flaws.

"I have a HK$10 note printed in 1970. It is worth HK$1,000 at present as there are creases on the note. If it was a straight dollar note, the value of it would be at least HK$5,000," Alamdin says.

Alamdin has a collection of banknotes with lucky number 3: MF000003, MF000033, MF000333, MF003333, TS033333 and VT333333. He says although this set is not of the same edition, MF, the value of the collection is at least HK$2,000. In Cheung's coin company, there is a set of $10 note that is worth HK$18,800. The set was printed in 1988 and of the same edition: PU000001, PU111111, PU222222, PU333333, PU444444, PU555555, PU666666, PU777777, PU888888, PU999999 and PU1000000.

"Unlike other investments, diversification is not encouraged when investin in banknotes, as this will hinder investors to form a collection of banknotes with similar interesting serial numbers," Alamdin advises.

Currently, most banknotes are traded through Yahoo Auction. Alamdin said this method is the most popular one as the admission fee involved is little - only a few dollars are charged for each trading item - and the Internet can bring together most of the collectors of banknotes.

Another place of transaction would be coin shops like the one owned by Cheung. Most of the coin shops are located in the Willy Commercial Building on Wing Kut Street in Sheung Wan and Portland Street in Mongkok.

"For newcomers in the market, they are advised to focus on banknotes of lower value first," Alamdin says.

"Do not sell your collection unless the return is at least 15 to 20 percent."

Nice addition See, first solid polymer I've seen for a while. Are there any polymer notes you know of that would be somewhat cheap with solid 4's? :ninja:

Nice addition See, first solid polymer I've seen for a while. Are there any polymer notes you know of that would be somewhat cheap with solid 4's? :ninja:

If you are looking for cheap solids. you look for India, Indonesia and Philippines solid 444444 in ebay but currently they are still in paper form. As for polymer ones, it will depend on availability. You can try to look for Singapore ones but they not very cheap. As for Australia and New Zealand, they are not so easily available since their Reserve banks do not sell them to the public as openly as Singapore ( MAS ) through public auction.

Solid number banknotes still remain highly sought after collectiables and investment currency and they are never cheap. Each year, their value increases due to more new collectors collecting them.

;)

Added this scarce New Zealand ( 1977 - 1981 ) Hardie QEII Portrait $10 Solid Number 555555. Won it at Noble Auction in Australia recently.

It is now in my New Zealand solid 555555 collection.

http://www.notepassion.com/NP-BN-WS-555555-NewZealand.html

:ninja:

I LOVE the engraving of Hillary with that expression. Fantastic note. The other one is a beaut too.

I have one similar New Zealand $5 low serial number with Hillary signature on the note. Not really part of my original 555555 collection but it is a good piece to keep and showcase.

• 1 month later...
Added this scarce New Zealand ( 1977 - 1981 ) Hardie QEII Portrait $10 Solid Number 555555. Won it at Noble Auction in Australia recently.

It is now in my New Zealand solid 555555 collection.

http://www.notepassion.com/NP-BN-WS-555555-NewZealand.html

;)

:ninja: nice note super numbers ;)

Glad to see this thread revived. Any updates for us, See?

PS. Do you have a spare New Zealand $5 (without cool serial numbers of course) that'd you'd be willing to sell to me??? :ninja:

Glad to see this thread revived. Any updates for us, See?

PS. Do you have a spare New Zealand $5 (without cool serial numbers of course) that'd you'd be willing to sell to me??? :ninja:

thedeadpoint - Hopefully, I will update new ones very soon. As for NZ $5, I don't have any normal serial number ones in my collection. Recently I sold off two pieces of 1980 series NZ $1, $5 with serial number 000006. I will let you know if I have any of the current NZ ( normal serial ) $5.

• 7 months later...

I collect mostly notes from Russia. Some from the Russian Empire (earliest date 1880). But mostly from the civil war era between 1917-1921. This is a facinating area for me because some of the patterns are really beautiful, and the variety that's available is incredible.

I collect mostly notes from Russia. Some from the Russian Empire (earliest date 1880). But mostly from the civil war era between 1917-1921. This is a facinating area for me because some of the patterns are really beautiful, and the variety that's available is incredible.

i also collet russian banknotes. but mostly state bank issues( yet i like civil war also).

and i dont refuse what i dont have from european countrys like france( including it s former collonies) or occupation notes. africa, exotic countries etc.

in general, everything that i dont have i want..

i also collet russian banknotes. but mostly state bank issues( yet i like civil war also).

and i dont refuse what i dont have from european countrys like france( including it s former collonies) or occupation notes. africa, exotic countries etc.

in general, everything that i dont have i want..

It is good to see that this thread have been revived. :ninja:

Archived