CoinPeople.com

Do you specialize on your banknotes collection ?

see323

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm... I guess that would be a hurdle. I still find it fascinating that some of your banks hold special sales/auctions for the solids that pass through them. I wonder what it would take for that to happen here at banks in America.

As for my second question, I was just letting out a big fat whine. But I'll keep pregnancy in mind next time I feel like whining... good thing a wife and that are a few years down the road for me. Wait... that isn't avery long time! :ninja:

I believe Singapore is the only country in the world whom the authority start auctioning these Singapore golden numbers banknotes through an auction house. It started with the Singapore Ship series $2. The auction was first held at one of the Singapore International Coin Convention. Currently,these banknotes are quarterly auction through Marvin Auction which anyone can bid and win through ebay.

The other country that also auction these nice serial number is Hong Kong. They are not as regularly done as what Singapore does. The bank holds charity auction.

;)

Sweet new addition! Can't say I'm a fan of that guy, but at least it's all 5's! Heheh...now when are you going to add a guestbook to your page so we can sign yours as well?

Very Soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Is that an oryx I see as the watermark? Either way, I really like those for some reason.

Yes, the watermark is an Arabian Oryx.

Amnh_fg02.jpg

Another one can be seen on my UAE solid 555555 banknote.

UAE%20555555%20-%20800.jpg

:ninja:

just a little older. :ninja:

Recent finds have evidenced that Bahrain was indeed the site of the lost civilization of Dilmun dating from the third millennium BC, often referred to as the fabled Garden of Eden and described as "paradise" in the Epic of Gilgamesh. The land is repeatedly mentioned in Sumerian , Babylonian and Assyrian inscriptions as an important seaport between Mesopotamia and the Indus Valley, due to the perennial abundance of sweet water.
from http://www.bahraintourism.com/subpage1.htm

bahraini dinars have long incorporated dilmun artifacts into their banknote designs, and the seal is one of many they've found on the island. i couldn't find the exact same one, but here are a few more:

brazie9.jpg

mundan16.jpg

c-documents-and-settings.jpg

Bahrain’s 5,000-year history has yielded a wealth of archaeological and cultural treasures for visitors to explore and experience

Bahrain’s historical and cultural attractions enable the visitor to step into the past and discover the roots of the island’s civilization. The archaeological and cultural attractions provide an ideal complement to the more adventurous activities available both on land and at sea around the island.

Among the shifting sands of Bahrain’s rapid recent modernisation are reminders of the country’s past and its rich, cosmopolitan foundations. While many of the historical and archaeological sites – for example Manama’s old windtower structures – are now dwarfed by modern buildings and six-lane highways, they have certainly not been forgotten. The joy for a short-stay visitor is that Bahrain’s heritage is within easy reach, with most sites no more than 20 minutes drive from downtown Manama.

Museum musing

The country’s heritage comes to life in an annual festival held at the architecturally striking National Museum. The event is a colourful exhibition of Bahrain’s many arts, crafts and traditions, as well as providing a valuable educational tool. Overlooking the Arabian Gulf, the museum consists of nine separate halls, showcasing the history of Bahrain from the Stone Age, through ancient civilizations and up to the pre-oil period.

The museum provides a stunning setting for the short-term visitor to take in the country’s heritage, recreating ancient burial sites, traditional crafts and also displaying a clear account of the country’s progress through intriguing exhibits and photographs.

To acknowledge the integral role of the sea in Bahrain’s past, a special Pearl and Diving Heritage Museum has been set up in one of Bahrain’s most historic buildings, just a few metres from the Bab Al-Bahrain gateway. Previously, the building was used as the Bahrain Law Courts and was constructed in 1937.

The museum contains several exhibition halls illustrating life on the island before the discovery of oil and exhibits include pearl diving, national costumes, local musical instruments, a typical wedding chamber, domestic games, archive photographs, local herbal medicinal practices and the High Court Chamber, which has remained intact since its original construction.

The discovery of oil, which was to change the face of Bahrain and the Gulf forever, is acknowledged in the Oil Museum, a small building set up on the site of the historic first well. The museum contains photographs of the early oil pioneers, the gushing of the first well and the equipment that was used. It is a fine reminder of the extent to which Bahrain evolved in its march into the modern world.

Real life evidence of the pearl merchants’ relative wealth has been well preserved in Muharraq. Bait Siyadi (or Siyadi House) was built by renowned pearl trader Ahmed bin Jassim Siyadi and is a fine example of a typical merchant’s house of the early twentieth century.

It also offers an excellent insight into traditional Bahraini architecture of the time, with geometric ornaments, gypsum designs and engraved wooden windows with stained glass, all of which was the work of talented Bahraini craftsmen. Its unique design was also intended to keep the summer heat at bay before the days of air conditioning.

For those interested in Islamic culture, the Bait Al Qur’an (House of the Quran) is home to an immensely rare and valuable collection of Islamic manuscripts, collected from all around the Islamic World including North Africa, Iran, India and China, along with a number of rare Islamic artefacts such as jewellery, gold and ornamental glass utensils. There are also interesting exhibits of calligraphy, prints and books, some of which date back to the 7th and 8th centuries.

There are many archaeological and heritage sites also within easy reach of the commercial heart of Bahrain. The Qalaat Al Bahrain (or Bahrain Fort), which has been traced back to as far as the 3rd millennium BC has been gradually and impressively restored to something approaching its former glory.

With a deep surrounding moat and cavernous chambers, the site – also known locally as the ‘Portuguese Fort’ – was once home to an estimated 7,000 people, a measure of its national importance. Today, the fort is a great place to explore, and its position on a small hill overlooking lush gardens and the sea provides a particularly tranquil setting, close to the hustle and bustle of modern life.

The 15th century Arad Fort on Muharraq Island, close to Bahrain’s International Airport, also continues to stand proudly following a three-year restoration programme using traditional materials such as coral stone, lime, gypsum and date palm trunks, from which the fort was originally constructed. Situated on the waterfront, it is a popular spot for an evening stroll and an information centre is housed at the entrance of the fort.

In all of Arabia, the most defining architectural building is the mosque, and one of the notable sites in Bahrain is the Al-Khamis Mosque, which is one of the oldest Islamic relics in the Arabian Gulf region, believed to date back to the Umayyed Dynasty and renovated around 1058 AD. A separate museum is also present on the site and displays various aspects of the mosques history, phases of construction, along with details of the designs, inscriptions and gravestones found in and around the mosque.

Ancient digs

Approximately 20 minutes drive from Manama; a team of international archaeologists have for many years been excavating a large settlement at Saar, which is estimated to be 4,000 years old. The houses are partitioned into living rooms, kitchens and courtyards, with narrow streets leading to the houses. Artefacts uncovered include the famous ‘Dilmun seal’, pottery and jewellery, and many of the better specimens are now on display in the National Museum.

Seals, pottery and jewellery have also been found in the thousands of burial mounds, which once covered Bahrain. The A’ali burial mounds, dating back to 2000 BC, once numbered an estimated 170,000, making the site the largest-known prehistoric cemetery in the world. Again, many of the possessions found in the tombs are now held for public viewing at the National Museum.

Local culture

For visitors with a little more time, a trip to the desert is a memorable experience. The large depression in the geographical centre of the country was once an ancient lake, the shores of which supported settlements. Today, evidence of these settlements is still found along the original ‘shoreline’ with flint workshops, where various tools were once crafted. Flint arrowheads, while now relatively rare, can still be found in these areas.

Traditional crafts live on in Bahrain’s villages, where basket weavers practise the skills passed on to them through the generations in Karbabad and Bani Jamra. At A’ali, clay potters fire up their kilns on a daily basis to make a wide range of standard items and even tailor-made pieces. All three villages also have craft shops selling local produce.

While much of Bahrain’s industry once revolved around pearl fishing, basket weaving and pottery, a great deal changed on June 2, 1932 when oil was first discovered in Bahrain.

Link : http://www.cbb.gov.bh/cmsrule/index.jsp?ac...ticle&ID=87

A detailed information on the current issue of Bahrain 1 Dinar.

Issued by :Central Bank of Bahrain

Size : 142 mm x 71 mm.

Illustration:

The headquarters of the Central Bank of Bahrain (CBB). The Bahrain Monetary Agency was established in 1973 and was succeeded by the CBB in September 2006. The CBB has all the powers and responsibilities normally associated with a central bank.

Illustration:

A Dilmun seal - The history of Delmon civilization goes back to about 3200 BC.

It lasted for more than 2,700 years between Bahrain and Failakah Islands towards the north of the Gulf.

Signature:

Shaikh Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa.

Watermark:

The head of an Oryx.

Security thread:

Wide, windowed thread with "BMA'' (Latin text) and "Bahrain Monetary Agency'' (Arabic text) microprinted on the thread

Archived