CoinPeople.com

Augustus

Ian

911143.jpg

I've been trying to find an example of this coin ever since I first saw one on romancoins.com. Today the one destined for my collection finally arrived. Nice portrait and original toning (as far as I can tell) and only honest wear. Slightly off centre strike reverse which causes the loss of some of the legend, but still collectable as far as i'm concerned. :-)

Obverse legend reads:

CAESAR AUGUSTUS DIVI F. PATER PATRIAE

(Caesar Augustus, son of the Divine Julius, Father of the Country)

Laureate bust of Augustus facing right. he had the title `Pater Patriae' bestowed upon him in 2 BC, basically proclaiming him as patron of the Roman Empire.

Reverse legend reads:

C L CAESARES AUGUSTI F COS DESIG PRINC IUVENT

(Gaius and Lucius Caesar, sons of Augustus, Consuls elect, first among youth)

Gaius and Lucius, standing side by side each with a hand on a shield behind which is a spear. The shields and spears represent the coming of age of Gaius and Lucius and the honour of `princepes iuventutis', (that is, `first among the youth') an honor bestowed upon them by Augustus.

The simpulum pictured above was one of the insignia of the college of pontiffs. This represents Gaius who became a pontiff in 7 BC. Also pictured above is a lituus or augural staff which was the symbol for the college of augurs and refers to Lucius who was appointed as an augur.

That's a cool type Ian, congratulations. I like the simpulum especially since Augustus also took the title Pontifex Maximus a few years earlier and we still have a pontiff to this day.

Archived