CoinPeople.com

CSNS Day 3--"Does it scratch an itch?"

ikaros

Day Three was a low-purchase day. In tow: my roommate's son CJ, who, given a choice between helping his dad with the laundry and going with me to the coin show, wisely chose the latter. The objective--try to spot (or be spotted by) Burks on minimal information.

Failed that part. Ah, well. Glad to hear he had a good time, tho.

After advising CJ that touching things would be a really bad idea, we went in noonish and hit the exhibitions first. Myself, I voted for the 1956 world set for the People's Choice. CJ had no preference, and ten bucks from his dad just burning a hole in his pocket.

That pretty much ruled out the five $10,000 bills on display as his goodie of the day, but they pretty seriously rocked his world. Set mine swaying, too--I thought I might see one, but I didn't expect to see five in one display. Whurf!

Showed him Gallery Mint making coins--they had both the screw press and the hammer going at the same time, which was cool. Somewhere along the way, I advised him that the reason to get into coins is because you like them, not because you're trying to make money on them--because, as the title says, it scratches an itch.

Well, let's be honest. He was getting kinda bored by me stopping to ooo over the pretty coins, but I had an ulterior motive--I was also looking for a quarter bin.

Found one. He dove in and found a bunch of space-related coins and had to have them.

Heh. Caught another one. :ninja:

Sounds like you and CJ had a great visit at the show. Did he enjoy getting some of the handouts like the GMM tokens?

Sounds like you and CJ had a great visit at the show. Did he enjoy getting some of the handouts like the GMM tokens?

I think he was more fascinated by the process than the result, actually.

The Gallery Mint folks do produce "error" coins--clipped, multiple strikes, etc--which I suggested should be called "deliberates", but the gent I was talking to said that as long as he says "oops" after each one, it's officially an error. :ninja:

Sadly I wasn't able to go again. I really wanted to but fishing until 3 A.M. and an eye infection kept me at home :ninja: .

Glad you snagged another collector though. It's always nice to see someone who will carry on the coin collecting hobby. Maybe his love of space-related coins will branch out. Seems to be a good number of science orianted coins/note/medals out there.

I forgot to mention the exhibits. I voted for the one explaining every part of the dollar bill. It was well thought out and put together. We all pulled out our money and started checking it :lol: There were many cool exhibits there. I admire their hard work and guts displaying some really amazing coins/notes.

Glad you snagged another collector though. It's always nice to see someone who will carry on the coin collecting hobby. Maybe his love of space-related coins will branch out. Seems to be a good number of science orianted coins/note/medals out there.

It very well could. He likes poking through my collection, and he is doing the SQ series. I think he might make a go of a space set, which would be very cool.

I've also been one-upped by him already. He's always liked my Apollo XIV medallion minted from a melt that includes silver that went to the moon on that mission (example here). I got mine for $10 and was very happy about that.

He found one for $2. And of course had to rub it in.

I forgot to mention the exhibits. I voted for the one explaining every part of the dollar bill. It was well thought out and put together. We all pulled out our money and started checking it :ninja: There were many cool exhibits there. I admire their hard work and guts displaying some really amazing coins/notes.

I ended up voting for the 1956 world set because it's so close to one of my interests. Honestly, though, it was a narrow call between that and the Cedar Point tokens. Haven't been to CP in probably 25 years now.

I got mine for $10 and was very happy about that.

He found one for $2.  And of course had to rub it in.

Haven't been to CP in probably 25 years now.

Awesome! Good bargain hunter there.

This is the first year in probably a decade my family hasn't bought season passes to CP. With college I can't go. Sister works too much. Dad is trying to work all he can before a GM shut down/lay off. Our goal this year is to visit a few parks we haven't been to in years. CP gets boring after a while.

Archived